MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Misternatural?

SHOWMANSHIP!!!

... so, it's all very simple, if you want to learn to do battle with a vise,... go see the ABS. If you want to learn to shave your arse, split toads and coil blades, come see me.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to jph
Now hold on a sec here....

THEY TELL YOU HOW TO PASS THE TEST??!!

That is NOT a TEST then, all this shows is if you know how to follow instructions. It's like giving someone the answers before the exam..

Tai:

On your goat smelling hairy arse... I agree about the flex..there's a place for flex, and a place for ridgidity...but I don't see what that has to do with your hirsuite heinnie!!

JPH who has alot of hair everwhere but his head..

N-T Hirsute Hine'y Hrisoulas
Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Tai, you know I Love I to mentally Joust with ya.

It's one of those reality things.

I'm still loking for that toad, 8" snow here.

I love ya Bro, but not in a Fag way.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Misternatural?

JPH,... if it ain't about my hirsuite heinnie, I don't want noth'n to do with it!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jph
Now hold on a sec here....

THEY TELL YOU HOW TO PASS THE TEST??!!

That is NOT a TEST then, all this shows is if you know how to follow instructions. It's like giving someone the answers before the exam..

With respect, we were shown different methods of heat treatment , then expected to make a knife that would pass the tests...........We may have been given the formulae (the answer?)but it was still left to the individual to put it all together and make it work....there were a lot of failures but eventualy everyone got it right!

Forging a blade that has been fully quenched and differentialy tempered I think takes a bit more skill than the basic soft back edge quench......but everyone (eventualy) was still capable of making a blade that passed....I dont think it is fair to take that achievement away from someone who worked hard to achieve it....

It IS a very basic test (to many)...BUT, many testing for the JS (and I presume MS) still fail this part.....even though they may have known the formulae?

Its like the rope cutting test (or throwing a rope up in the air and cutting it as it falls)........a LOT of it is to do with technique (even though they may know the theory).......Is that a fair test of the blade or is it a test of the user.......or both?

The ABS tests may not be the most ideal tests that could be done...they will always be open to criticism......as will most tests....but its a start?

Last edited by Coutel; 12-11-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Misternatural?

..just funn'n!

JPH, sure miss running into you at the shows, way back when. I haven't been to any for years. It's kinda cool being able to goof around like this now. I knew our paths would one day cross again.

...( I've never argued with JPH.)

Last edited by Misternatural?; 12-10-2003 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to jph
Well all

Sounds like yet another "boy's group" to me...and even if I didn't have the objections that I do have in ref to the ABS I still wouldn't be interested as it has nothing to offer me in return for my time/money and other stuff.

Tai:

I haven't done a knife show per sey since my dear friend Bob Engnath died, oh how I loved that man..he and his wonderful wife Stevie.. They are Godparents to my three children. Talk about someone who was the salt of the Earth! THAT was Bob E. I just lost interest in doing shows when he passed on. We use to get into alot of "trouble" at shows....I would usually sell out easrly in the show and then spend the rest of the time signing books and hassling Bob...

Ya know Tai, if'n ya all ever gte up this way, drop on by, we can spend some time blowing up the desert with either my Gatling Gun or my 9# cannon and then re-lax in the C-ment pond....

JPH (the Henderson Hill-billy..)

N-T Hirsute Hine'y Hrisoulas
Old 12-10-2003, 09:17 PM
Misternatural?

...you got it bro!
Old 12-11-2003, 02:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Dr Jim:
What Caliber is your gatlin? Have been looking for one, just wondering where ya got one, and if its a new manufacture or not.

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Skilled

Now wait a minute, a Arkansas hillbilly, on moonshine, with a gatlin gun , Sounds like this Missouri hillbilly might need to move a little farther north . Darn Mike you get around like s**% on a wheel. You going to make it home for Christmas?

Bill

www.geocities.com/buxtonknives
Old 12-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Yes Bill, we are in Korea until Saturday, then back to Okinawa until the 20th , then back to good ol Yell County!!

God Bless

Mike

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives