MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Boot knife steel recommendation

Back ground first - I have been carrying a Buck Hartsook in my boot but it has proven too small and not able to do all that I need. So I am planning on making a knife that will be carried in my combat boot to replace the Buck as a backup / emergency knife/tool. I believe I have decided on a design based on my paint stick mockups (about 7? total length 3/4? wide and 1/8? thick, no scales maybe a thin cord wrap for a handle). I?m not looking to make a show piece just a very functional knife to carry in a less that wonderful part of the world. Now I need help/guidance deciding on what steel I should make myself a boot knife out of.

I need something that is corrosion resistant due to the knife being carried in my boot. I think this would be a prime environment for corrosion from sweat (correct me if I?m wrong, it happens a lot) and I already have enough gear to look after on a daily basis. So wear and forget is ideal.

I can already see this knife being used for all the things one should not do with a knife (prying, pounding?) so I would like it to be as tough as possible (I know this may also depend on the heat treat).

I would like the blade to hold a very sharp edge as well. I can sharpen it as needed but would like to keep this blade as low maintenance as possible.

I know I?m looking for the ?perfect? blade metal but I don?t know how else to explain what the knife is expected to do.

I have been considering the following for this blade in order of preference:
1. S30V
2. 154CM / ATS34
3. 440C

Are there any other good options that I have missed and should consider?

Not that price is a major concern but is the S30V that much better than the 440C for what I am looking for?

I have the ability to cut, mill, turn, grind, file, and sand the blade. I will however be sending it out for heat treat (most likely Texas Knifemaker's Supply) just don?t have that ability yet.

I would appreciate ANY input on this. I want to do this right so I have a knife I can depend on.

Thanks,

Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Steel Addict

Well there is alot to consider, but I'll give you my opinion as short and sweet as possible. First good call on sending it out to HT, because the material you want/need can be very difficult for a beginner to HT. Personally I would go with either cpm 154 or 440C, pros and cons: 440c has great corrosion resistance and capabilities, 154 will be able to hold an edge longer and be a little more tough for those applications that a knife isn't supposed to be used for. On the flip side, 440 will be easier to sharpen in the field then 154, which is why I would stay away from S30V, it can prove to be difficult to sharpen in a shop let alone in the field. I think you would be happy with either material, but as a beginner and for the application I would go with 440c, it will fill the requirements needed and be a little easier on your tools while making it, and while sharpening.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

I bought a couple of folding knives in S30V. The salesman who sold me one said his solution to sharpening was to drop it into a mailer with a check and pay the factory to do it. That seems that it would be a little hard to do from the middle of no where. Basically, loose your diamond hone and you are S.O.L. I understand that the alloy has a bit of a brittleness problem too.

My everyday carry knife is 154CM. I did manage to break the tip off doing something that I shouldn't have been doing with it but at least now it's under the legal limit to carry. It also wasn't that hard to grind a new point on the blade.

I would go with 440C. It's tried and true and will probably give you the best toughness that you will get from stainless. Plus you could pick up an appropriate piece of stone or a piece of broken crockery and you can put a new edge on it.

I don't know if D2 will give enough rust resistance for you but you might want to look into it.

Doug

Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I agree with the others that 440C is probably what you are looking for. S30V will make a tougher blade BUT only if the heat treat is done the right way and the commercial outfits - including some of the manufacturers - DO NOT use the optimum heat treatment for this steel. So, all things considered go for the 440C. Be sure to use someone like Texas Knifemakers who offer cryo treatment for 440C as this is where much of the toughness you need will come from ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
back, bee, blade, boot, boot knife, buck, cord wrap, design, edge, file, forge, handle, heat, heat treat, knife, knifemaker, make, making, paint, sand, scales, sharp, steel, supply, wrap