MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 AM

A recent delivery

I delivered this one this week to a co-worker who will give it as a Father's Day gift. When she ordered it, she specified a leather carving depicting the Air Force SAC shield (her father is a retiree). I forgot about that and made this one.

I redid the sheath a gave her the one she wanted, so I still have this one and no pics of the SAC carved version. In any case she was happy, and I have a sheath ready for the next knife of this design.

I call this design Eastern Hunter (I have a Western, Southern, and Northern in this series as well).

Clay quenched 1095
Stabilized curly walnut
Mini-corbys and mosaic pin
Hand carved and stiched leather sheath

Thanks for looking.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

Andy,

What can I say - I love it. I've always enjoyed your distinct designs. I'm sure the new owner will be thrilled. And the sheath....wow.
Keep it up my friend.

www.jarrettknives.com

Old 04-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Skilled

Knife and sheath look excellent....great job.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Check out my website.
www.crystalcreekknives.com
Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Master

Very elegant!!
I like a lot!!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Master

Andy-
I've waited a few days to comment because I wanted to soak it in a bit. I've also decided that my feedback in general has lacked substance so I'm making an effort to give a thorough opinion or not comment at all. So, here's what I think... Great choice in materials and fit & finish is spectacular as usual. The hamon is crisp and almost unreal looking since it mirrors the profile so well - nice job! I like exposed thong holes in general and specifically on this knife because it doesn't take away from the beautiful scales. Over all just a very clean, good looking, usefull hunting knife. I'm not a big fan of mosaic pins, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing. The sheath is incredible and really shows how your leather skills have advanced, but I don't think it matches the knife. The sheath is so nice that I wouldn't expect to see a real user come out of it - maybe something with MOP scales, full mosaics, and a mirror polish. I think a simpler sheath would match better - I wish I could see the USAF one you presented with the knife. I have a feeling it would be a better compliment.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi

Last edited by DaveRuhlig; 04-14-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Well done hamon..
Congratulation
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks to all for you kind comments. Encouragement pushes me into the shop!

Dave, Thanks in particular for your well considered evaluation. I too have found myself wanting to give more thoughtful insight and you model that well.

I too feel that the sheath that went with it, is better as a user. That being said, this carving only took about an hour--it's not a huge investment of time that would be ruined if scraped or dinged in hard use.

I also dislike mosaic pins with this one exception and I have never made a knife with any other style than this one. It's small (7/32") all nickel/silver as not to create that multi- colored effect, and in 4 years of knifemaking, I've only used in on a handleful of knives and never more than once on any knife.

It seems that you and I think much alike! Thanks again. Such comments drive me to be more critical of my design choices and hopefully will produce ever improving work.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 04-14-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

I like the idea of more thoughtful input. But I have nothing like that, just drool running down my chin. verrry nice

Tags
hunting knife, knife, knives