MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 02-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Master

My knives see more deer than me!

OK, ouside of being a casual bird hunter, I can't say I do much at all. That's why I have people like my brother-in-law test my blades and give me reports back on likes, dislikes, etc. In exchange, I get about as much venison as my deep freeze can hold. Somehow, I get the better end of that deal.

So far, the knife has gotten good grades with maybe the only dislike being the length of the handle (a little on the short side for larger hands) and I reprofiled the tip last year to have more of a point. The D2 steel has come through like a champ though.

More importantly, this is Duane's first one he's bagged with a bow!

Any other good hunting stories out there?

Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Well....let's see a pic of this stubby handled, ground on, used, bloody knife!

Hope it ain't my favorite osage handled skinner. Post a pic of that one too, if ya got it, and that custom fancy sheath ya had made for it also..hehee, I don't ask for much, do I?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Living Legend

A doe with a bow,way to go.Lets see the knife

Old 02-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Master

Roc, to be honest, when I saw what Chuck did with the sheath, I couldn't part with it. Luckily I made it without a buyer in mind. So I just ended up keeping it.

Here she is when she was still spankin' brand new

And this is how it looks with a little age to the Osage..

And my brother-in-laws knife is before I started keeping good documentation of what I made. I'm kicking myself for it now. I do have this photo of it before bolsters and handles got attached.

Chris
Old 02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Guru

Thats some Beautifull work Chris. Its always fun to see pictures of hunts that have stories about the knives we make behind them. Lets see some more from others.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 02-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting those pics. I was talking about starting an all time "Knet standout knife" thread and that one was on my mind. Wish I would have kept a good record of my favorites. Chuck did do a great job on the sheath. That osage is getting pretty. Calvin Bowman sent me a well seasoned log from LA. last summer and I sent a piece of it off on a KITH knife.. Wonder how the color is doing on it?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Here it is on the cover of the prestigious Scagel/Nessmuk Intergral magazine. Of course it had to make the cover cuz it is the only one ever seen.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't that Bambi's mom?

Better be quiet about that deer, Chris, or Don Halter's kid (6 yrs old) will be looking to go with Duane! (And likely show him up, the way he was shooting his bow this weekend!)

I only got to go out once this year. (Again, I should have checked out that "Slavery" clause in my contract.) A friend - in exchange for a very nice DDR-3BL - let me take my son hog hunting. We saw deer, coyotes, a fox, even a bald eagle - but not one **** hog! Still, it was a good weekend and I treasure the chance to spend the time with my kid.

This past weekend we got to see and touch the very knife and sheath that Hammerdownnow referred to! It's even better in person that in the pictures! Chuck actually decorated the BACK of the sheath as much as the front. I think everyone had a good time at Don's hammer-in.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Master

#### Roc, I don't think I've ever seen that one. Way cool and I love integrals. How was that tire iron to work under the hammer?

Chris
Old 02-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Nice and easy. Works like butter and hardens like glass. Figuring roughly around 1070. It was an old one I found under the seat of a 57' ford panel wagon I had.......but who knows when it got put there.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Guru

This was my first deer with a bow as well. Aidan thought it was great, and thus started his fascination with bows & arrows.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Master

Krag, awesome bag. And if what I saw the other weekend of Aidan's archery abilities is any indication, you may be in a run for your money.

Chris
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Guru

I was impressed with how quick he's come with the shooting...up until he chased his baby brother around with the bow at full draw. He currently won't get his bow back until his 7th birthday in August!

I have another pic around here somewhere of the Auodad (the head that was in our dining area) getting skinned with a half finished ATS-34 knife. I had forgot my hunting knife, but had the 75% done one sitting in a box in the truck. It had the slabs and protruding handle pins still rough and unshaped. It worked great though...especially considering the other options were plastic utensils!

P.S. Here's the link to the Auodad. An entertaining story also...as only a Texan could tell it.
http://www.100megsfree3.com/kragaxe/hunting/Aoudad.html

Last edited by Don Halter; 02-22-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Guru

Don,

That's a great first deer with a bow. Great feeling isn't it, having to get so close before being able to shoot.

My first was on opening day a few seasons back. We were in camp after the morning hunt fixing up my brothers motorcycle (use them to push in 5-10 miles) and this doe comes into camp. My brother shot at it, and it took off. After about an hour more of working, here she came back, right into camp. Other brother took a shot and missed, I grabbed my bow and waited at the corner of my camper. She came into a lane and stopped broadside to me at about 15yds. Hit her really good, and she was down with 20yds of where I hit her. My kids thought it was great.

Anyway, I have been thinking of forging 6-12 arrowheads and getting them to the same weight and trying to take a deer or elk with one I made. Might see if I can get that done this year.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??

Tags
forging, hunting knife, knife, knives