MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
Would this grinder be sufficient for a beginner?

Hey guys

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Josh, I'm a 24 year old college student from Kentucky. I'm new to this forum, but not new to knives. Ever since I was a small boy I've been fascinated with anything that held an edge. Since I was 8 I have been sharpening knives, and gradually got into cleaning and refurbishing knives for different people. The obvious next step for me is to try my hand at making my own knives. I have the knowledge (thanks to Wayne Goddard's books), but lack the tools and hands on experience.

Anyway, I'm a poor college student, and was wondering if this grinder would be more trouble than it's worth when it comes to knifemaking.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...subcat=Sanders

Old 06-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Steel Addict

I would just use files for now and save the $100.00 add to it over time until i could afford a grizzly or coot. If you like I could hold the cash for you.....you know so you don't spend it .
Old 06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Skilled

Hi Josh I'm new here too. I have the very same belt sander for use in my workshop(use it for wood) and it just doesnt cut it for knives. I'm saving for something better.

Julie

Old 06-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Steel Addict

well dang...

I had a glimmer of hope for this machine to be something ok to start out with, but I trust you guys unbiased opinions.

I guess I'll use some elbow grease and some files. Maybe when I get out of college I could afford a good machine, but right now I barely eat....lol.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
That machine would be fine to start with if it is within your budgit. I would not try to grind swords with it, but small skinners, hunters, Gents and boot knives is the best way to start anyway. Faster than a file, and the disk would be handy for making handle slabs flat and square. Knifemaking has alot to do with personal aptitude. One could make a knife on a sandstone rock if he had the will. With your backround I could see this machine doing good as a starter for you.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Steel Addict

That's better than what I started with! Anything will work. Just get creative with how you use it and use what that experience teaches you to select your next one. Good luck.

Andy

Old 06-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Don?t be too quick to look down your nose at that little grinder. I have one and have made well over 30 knives with it. They were all from 0-1 bar stock and not kit knives. They varied in size from a 14? Bowie down to 6? edc?s. Almost all have been sold, but if you want pictures of what you can do with it drop me a pm.
When your starting out it doesn?t make a lot of sense to go out and buy the latest $2,000 wiz bang variable speed professional knife grinder. I feel learning the basics and gaining enough experience to earn the need for a real grinder is an important part of sticking your big toe into knife making. It?s really the person that makes the knife, not the grinder.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Hall of Famer

I was thinking of picking one up to put in the work room at the shop. The thing that hooked me was the 2/3 hp motor. Most inexpensive ones have 1/4 hp. All grits can be had from Barbcat.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Well, I went out and picked up the craftsman 2x42. Good thing I did because it was the last one they had and it was the display model so they gave me another 5% off. It was at Sears hardware and they said they would not carry that model anymore. ???????

First impressions are, that 2/3hp is one peppy little motor as I expected. I tried to bog it down and was unable to before the steel burnt my fingers. Runs smooth and quiet and is easy to adjust the tracking. Mine came without a manual so I got to feel my way thru it. Pretty straight forward adjustments tho. I plan to add a piroglass platten tonight and maybe grind a blade on it by tomorrow night. I can't see it being beat for a 2" grinder for $99.98 For one thing starting with a 2"'er will slow the learning curve when, and if, you up grade. I don't know how long the bearings in the wheels will last but the frame is nice and solid 1/4" aluminum and replacement with high quality wheels would be a snap. I have five grinders, I started out with a China 4x60 and this thing beats the snot out of it. I just went back out there and tried to bog it with the end of a 1/4x 1 1/4" bar of 1095. I could not stop it....unbelievable!!!!

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 06-20-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Josh

The first few knives that I used a belt sander on, I used a Craftsman 3" x 18" ! I just turned it upside down (with the belt facing up) on my Dad's utility room counter and started grinding. It was slow, but faster than draw filing. I graduated to a 1" x 30" Delta with a disc sander on it and thought I was really high class! I probably made 30 or more knives on that little Delta. Most were small utility knives or skinners, and it worked well enough, if somewhat slow.

If the local Sears has one of those 2" x 42" models tomorrow night, I might get one to try out, myself.

Really, for the money, you can't go wrong. Sure, it's not the ideal for grinding knife blades, but it'll be better than nothing (certainly better than a 1" x 30"!), and you can always use it for handle work, when you upgrade.

Todd

Last edited by Todd Robbins; 06-20-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to philip bradford Send a message via Yahoo to philip bradford
As you have no doubt quickly found out; there are many different opinions on the value of the little Sears grinder. If you are just getting started and have limited funds, give it a try. Developing your mechanical abilities and eye for detail doesn't require a $2000 grinder. The most important thing is to just keep trying to improve you skill level. Than when you graduate college and have enough money to buy a really nice grinder, you'll hopefully have the skill to make a really nice knife. Remember, you can always buy expensive tools later in life, you can never buy the experience that takes a lifetime to build. You have to pay your dues.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Steel Addict

I want to thank everyone here for their help. You folks are some really nice and helpful people.

I guess I'm forgetting that it's the person that ultimately determines how nice something is going to turn out, and not the machine.

I play guitar, and people sometimes put down and discount the lower end instruments, but I've seen guys make a 50 dollar guitar sing, while some beginners and amateurs are clueless with their 4 grand Gibson. I guess it's the same thing with knifemaking.

I think I will pick up that little grinder. I've heard more good than bad, and the initial discouragement is now gone. Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Skilled

Hey Josh, I'm a 23-year-old college student in Texas who owns one of those belt grinders. I did not pick it up to use for blade grinding (being a forgist ), but I have been using it to clean up profiles and to clean the forge pitting off the sides of the blade. I'm still learning to use it, but it has been quite useful. I bought it for shaping handles, which it has done nicely. It can also use a 1" belt.

In my experience, the motor will bog down, but not real easily. I wish Sears carried some finer grits for it, but hammerdownnow gave a name of a belt supplier.

I'd also invest in some of the sandpaper flapweels that have a shaft to chuck up in a handheld drill. They're about 8 bucks a piece and greatly speed up finishing time.

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 06-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Steel Addict

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 06-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
i recently got this grinder and it seems to be a great grinder for handels and good for shaping blades. my only complants are you cant take the back/top off the belt gaurd. and the hex bolts are a pain to get to.
thay just seem to be in bad spots that are either hard to reach or wont let you get full turns with the hex keys. ive been thinking about geting some wing bolts to replace the hex type bolts so thay can be turned by hand .
it does run very quitly as compaired to my bench grinder. im happy with it!
like some others said it cant be beat for the price

by the way i have no expeirence with other belt grinders so you might want to take my words with a grain of salt.
i also got a drill press and a band saw the same day all sears products for $325 total
if i where you i would get a drill press as well it was only $99 as well if i remember corectly.
i dont know how i drilled a hole with out it :confused:

hammerdownnow
if you want i can send you the manual for the sander you could copy it then send it back to me.

.......justin

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives