MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Guru

Good People to Deal with.

I dont frequent too many forums other than this one but another forum that ive enjoyed visiting recently thanks to a good buddy (Fed) is the USN. One Thread that they have going that I think would be a great addition would be the Thread to give praise or comment of who's good and who is bad to deal with. I just wanted to make comment on a couple people that Ive had the honor of dealing with that need to know how I feel.

Chris Daigle: Cant say enough about him. Top Notch person and a great friend. I had a B-day pass a couple weeks ago and I received a little package from him that will never be forgotten. Chris......Cant wait to meet you in person and to continue on with a long lasting friendship.

Ruud Overmeer: Ruud is from the Netherland and has become a great friend. I now have one of his knives and get compliments all the time from it. A new maker that is making some awesome work. He has become a great friend. Thanks Ruud !

Mike Garner....(Diamond G). A friend for life ! Class act awesome person. Damascus making mudda. If I had to call one person a Mentor this would be mine. Had the opportunity to have him in my shop and it was priceless.

Theres plenty more but just wanted to mention a few to get it started.

Thanks to everyone for the friendships built.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 02-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Only problem with your suggestion is that this forum has an awfully high percentage of "good guys".

Of your short list, I've met Chris Daigle and I can say that everything you say is true.

The same could be said for Don Halter, who let me come up to his shop and showed me how to make cable damascus. And Ed Caffrey, who has politely answered my questions without pointing out how stupid they might be. And Chuck Burrows who has raised the quality of sheathmaking world-wide through his work and teaching. And Sandy Morrissey, for all of the above and for just being a nice guy. I can't leave off Terry Primos, who other knifemakers quote. Or Tai Goo for bringing an artist's eye to the forum. Osprey Guy always writes a good thread. Hammerdownnow and I have disagreed - politely - on everything but what day it is, and I get a big kick out of every conversation with him. Fitzo? - he's made me laugh 'till I had tears flowing! Jason Cutter hurt his hand last year and must have had 100 members write to him with best wishes for recovery - a truely nice guy to correspond with. How about the metallurgy lessons from Quenchcrack and Mete? Darren Ellis, who ships a firebrick wrapped and protected like it was fine china!

The list goes on and on! (Apologies to those I left off, but I'm tired of typing.)

Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Guru

My point exactly ! Lots of guys that need the recognition. You mentioned guys I feel the same way for. We will leave a million people off but by getting this going it will give us the opportunity to mention those that need the recognition.

Shane

Old 02-24-2005, 04:57 AM

Thumbs up Good-guy pats on the back...

I love the people and the personalities. The personalities strike me so apparent, even though we all start from the same place--the keyboard!

Not everyone I have had the chance to work with personally, but there is NO one I wouldn't trust in my list:

Most interesting posts:
Tai Goo
Roc Ellis (hammerdownnow)
Mike Fitgerald (Fitzo)
Jonathan Loose
Chuck Burrows
SR Johnson

Most informative:
Ray Richard
Ray Rodgrs
Ed Caffrey
Don Cowles
Bob Warner
Terrill Hoffman
Jamey Saunders
Gene Chapman
Ray Cover

Some folks spend more time than others replying, clarifying, and creating interesting posts. These guys go above and beyond.
My favorites are:
Buddy Thomasen
Dennis Greenbaum
Jason Cutter
Chuck Burrows
Terry Primos
Ed Caffrey

All off the top of my head. And I missed dozen others who are reading this right now...! (I'm sorry.)

Good Post, Shane. Thanks for the opportunity to point them out.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Bob Warner and Coop are pretty obvious selections I missed on my short list, but I wouldn't disagree with anyone else on Coop's list either.

Coop has not only shown us what a good photograph can achieve, but he's also taught so many here how to take decent photos.

Bob has had a tough row to hoe the last couple years, and has remained a first class guy through it all.

How many of us hit that hyperlink when we see a post from Ray Cover, just to be wow'd by the engraving?

And Darrel Ralph hangs out here! I love his designs and he always responds to questions.

It's a pretty cool neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Master

Awwww shucks Shane, thanks. Where's the little blush icon? There it is. haha

What Shane didn't mention is that around the same time I was sending his care package, he was offering an etcher in the newbies forum FREE of charge to anyone who wanted it. How cool is that? What comes around goes around.

TexasJack, do I know you? Just kidding! Richard has more of a background in woodworking than I do, and has been very helpful outside of the forum when it comes to questions. A really good guy that I just happen to "bump" into while at TKS.

Coop, you're one of the best too as far as your contributions here go. FAR too many other people to mention. It's a reason I come here daily and don't really frequent many other forums. This one covers almost all the bases needed.

Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Living Legend

to the moderators, who take time to answer the same questions over and over again

Really to those who take the time to keep the forum fun, friendly and informative.

Jim
Old 02-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Hall of Famer

This is a nice thread Shane! You, in fact are on my list of neat people, I enjoy reading the comments you offer, always kind. Buddy Tomason and Coop are great guys, as are Chuck, Fitz, Ron (Bowie), Sandy, Tracy, Jason, Terry, and just a host of others. Now that I think about it, I have a heck of a lot of friends on this forum. Rather than miss anyone, I'll just say thanks to all of you for participating, I've learned volumns here, that would take a lifetime of research by myself.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Guru

Well said Robert, and Thank You.....The feelings mutual.

Shane

Old 03-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack
Only problem with your suggestion is that this forum has an awfully high percentage of "good guys".

that's kinda the point

i call the USN my virtual home, and the feedback forum ("Who sucks and who doesn't") is a great way to show a little appreciation for the folks that are smooth to deal with, and who go above and beyond what normally constitutes a good deal. it also allows new folks to start gaining a little good reputation, as well as lets them check up on a potential trading partner.

on the flip side, the feedback can deal with people not necessarily good to deal with, on your "home" forum or not. there are obviously many folks who are members of several forums, and it allows you to give a heads-up on someone, anyone really, that you've had a bad experience with. this allows your other members to get feedback on a member of another forum they might not frequent, or even visit.

as custom makers, this could be a good resource for customers, dealers, or trading partners that are potential "problem children".

it's very rare you see any negative feedback on that USN forum. too many "this guy is horrible to deal with and he screwed me" threads about a person, and they usually don't last long.

i've been a member there for going on a year and half i guess, and it has been a great resource for me.

just a few thoughts

chris

Tags
knives