MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Guru

Look at the price of handmade custom knives.

If you go to etsy or E-Bay many "custom" knives are kit knives. I make some kit knives, but you will know it and I do not put my name on them. Look at what are obviously hand made-forged knives and their prices online and around where you live. Also consider the country it's coming from. There was a really bitchin Viking hatchet for only $21, but it had to come from Romania or Poland and the EU shipping adds about $30 or more to the price and you don't know what ur getting insofar as the metal, could be an old car bumper for all you know. Not to get political, but it's cheaper shipping from Pakistan and screw that, if I know it comes from there I won't buy it.

So do not worry about your price, I may come down a little looking at the cheap knives competition, but not by much. Now for the hard news. Your kirinite handled knife would be worth about $90 with that sheath. Nice leather would kick that price to $140+. Kydex for a hunter knife like that one brings down the price I'm sorry to say because it is the best thing to make a sheath out of for durability, but if I'm spending money I want a nice sheath that also looks good. Don't worry, it's just my opinion, but if in your description you could say it is RC 59-60 hard with the subzero quench in liquid nitrogen it will raise the price considerably with someone who knows knives and a nice leather sheath with a nice border tooled in and the option of putting the buyer's initials on the back is again a price riser.

I don't know what the cost is, but you can open an account on Amazon too. As for your website, just make sure the proper search words are in the title Like

Dtech's Custom Handmade Knives and Sheaths with Personal Custom Touch as a subtitle. Just listen to some better guys at the business end than me, but that's a start. Add Tactical in there somewhere too.

Last edited by jimmontg; 08-04-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Guru

Thanks for the advice i will have to do some investigating into prices a lil more...90 bucks aint going to work cost is probilly a lil less. i wrote all this down to figure it out i just don't have the book in front of me. but yeh thats probillly just cost if that by the time you consider the steel, belts, kirinite, Corby's, kydex, eyelets, tec lock, liquid nitrogen...90 bucks maybe i could break even....i just sold one that was very similar but it was blue and black g10 for 220 and i have had people offer way more than that when they see some of the knifes i have done (most of them i wouldn't sell anyway because either there is a mistake in ther that i know about or just because some of the early ones i want for my self i learned something from each one and i dint make them to sell those i am keeping) i have also seen similar knives going for 2 and change maybe 3 depending on materials used. but really ray gave me a piece of advice wich i think is true " your knife is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" that being said i think your right as far as the descrition and ability to "sell" the knife plays a big part in it. know the exact hardness would be a big plus as you said but i don't have a hardness tester right now so i don't know about that yehi could have some one test one knife and then HT others exactly the same and yeh they should come out the same but idk the ht is very easy to sway one way r another slightly without being able to test each one i don't know how i would feel about advertising the exact hardness....that being said i do test each one with the brass rod and a few things to make sure its sharp. i think i am going to have to do some more research on pricing and the other parts of the buissness side of things. it is much harder for me any way to really sell a knife online i am a good talker in person i can sell almost anything always have been good at that but its harder online. i think. i did find another maker that lives in manhattan so once i get a couple more in this batch done i might bring some down to him he said he would help me with pricing specific knives and give me tips to increase the value of a knife......much more research on this is needed any advice is appreciated
Old 08-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Guru

I live in the South

I am going by my experience, but as I said if you just put the knife out there without a description and a nice sheath about $90 is what folks around here would offer. But then you throw in the other things I said $200 is in the ballpark and up in the NE where you live it will be right about there. You've had some success so far and selling a knife for $220 as a beginner is good.
Describe the knife full on and I assume you heat treated it yourself? If you sent the 440C out then tell them to RC test it for you. If you HT yourself call around to machine shops and ask if they have a RC tester. Shop I used to work at I would charge very little if at all, but they were nice people. Put out as much info on it as you can.

I use a few add-ons too. If I have a hard knife I offer a small diamond sharpener and all my survival knives come with a ferro cerro sparking steel for fire starting. It costs me about $14 and I add $20. Like I said, talk to other guys here, I'm not an expert on the business side, I'm a newbie like you just older with an idea about what makes people tick.

I like your knives and believe it or not, the pink one intrigues me. It is a great knife and I would never think somebody new did it, though I would change the handle to ironwood or cocobolo.lol
Old 08-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Skilled

I'm new at this and thus a bit hesitant to weigh in with opinions. But because I'm sort of in the same boat of wanting to sell some knives along, I have done some "research" if you want to call it that, to sort of seek guidance surrounding the question of selling, how, and how much. So take this FWIW.

I've sold about 10-12 knives or so this year. I look at etsy and another forum and look at what custom knives are selling for. I see some experienced knifemakers that have a following and reputation that sell some, we'll say general purpose, EDC, B&T knives for around $190-$250 +/-. Some of these have nice polished bolsters, pommels, spacers, mixed woods, stabilized exotic burls. Some of the bigger Bowies and fighters go on up in the $650-$750 and on up. Nice kitchen knives can go for those prices too, in fact, usually do it seems. I see some little simple neck knives/cleaver types with no scales and a kydex sheat go for around $65-$75. Some guys produce these in batches and they seem to sell out almost immediately. Several weeks later they post another group for sell. Damascus seems to bring a higher price as does forged blades. Stainless? It appears that it CAN be a plus but for people who collect custom knives it doesn't seem to be a strong incentive to buy.

I've also seen some what looks like not very attractive workmanship trying to fetch $150-$200 or so. And I see some Pakistani stuff that obviously the skill is there but they are asking $65-$100 and frankly I wouldn't give that for Pakistani steel. There is a lot of stuff available and some very talented makers in eastern Europe and they market here. They get some decent prices and again, some who are known and have built a reputation for quality and workmanship, are able to get some good prices in the range of what I listed up top.

Here's where I am with my VERY LIMITED experience. I'll add I've mostly sold with word of mouth to acquaintances and friends, and that a dozen or less.
My base for a Bird & Trout size knife is about $90
My base for a medium size hunting/camping knife is about $110
Lanyard hole, decorative thumb grip file work, liners, or fancy figured wood adds about $10 each.
So a medium size hunter with a lanyard tube and file work would sell for around $130 or $135-ish
That's with wood I have on hand. If I order some cocobolo scales or birdseye maple, that will add around $15-$20. Some, heck most, stabilized wood will cost minimal around $25-$50.

My average knife I've sold is about $125. I include a handmade leather sheath with a knife. I usually end up "throwing in" some feature like, I'll throw in the birdseye maple or a lanyard tube for no additional cost. At this point I'd rather get the knife out there in someone's hand than make an additional $10 bucks.

I have 6-8 "models" with a name like "The Whitetail" or "The Hunter" but if someone wants "that" blade design on "that" handle design I'll do that too.

At those prices am I making money? No, not unless my time is irrelevant. On the materials, yes but factor in emery paper, epoxy, belts, all "consumables" and factor in the cost of a new KMG , and other equipment and the "cost of doing business" goes up. I was lucky that I had a drill press and band saw, flex shaft, etc. Having to buy all that? Sheesh.

So do I increase my prices to "make" money? When I look at experienced and even some well known makers selling in another forum for somewhere around $220-$250 on average (to pull a number out of the air) I think it is unreasonable for me, an unknown, to expect that kind of pricing at this stage. My hope is to get some knives out there, get some good experieces, gain some proficiency (speed up the process), produce a good quality product and the business end of it will slowly grow.

As demand and quality and reputation goes up then so do the prices inch up. I just want to get knives out there and make enough to cover my expenses and maybe expand equipment before I have any realistic expectation of actually "making" anything at this.

I'm not looking at making a living making knives. I'm sort of looking down the road for a part time retirement endeavor to stay busy and make a few extra bucks after retirement.

Right now I'm looking at it as an enjoyable hobby that is, even in this early stage, becoming a self-supporting hobby by generating enough revenue to pay for the materials.

So add up your costs of materials and add to that a markup. That markup, the price above actual material costs is your gross profit. Out of that you have to replace the materials, pay for the consummables, cover costs of equipment, and pay for your time, pay the electric company, advertising and marketing, websites, taxes, and 1000 other expenses...
What's left over is your net profit. This is what goes into your re-investing, business growth, your kid's college fund, buying groceries, your 401-K...

For the most part, people have NO IDEA what goes into running and maintaining, and earning a living from a small business.

But now I'm headed down a different rabbit trail...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 08-04-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Guru

jimmontg...thanks for your opinion. it does help as you said your new too but as you also said your older so with this subject you may have more experience just because youy have been on this world longer than me so you man just have a better opinion of how people work so I will take your advice. as I said before in person I am a good talker as my brother once said " I could sell water to a well" lets just say the earlier years of my life I was deffinitly not living life the right way however I did get some skills from it being able to talk to people was one. but that doesn't translate to selling things online. that's a big difference than in person. Also yeh I have heat treated everything my self....when I got the oven and started using liquid nitrogen wich is also when I started using 440c instead of carbon steel. (the reason I did that is from my experience just from asking around that average joe that I could sell a blade to doesn't want to have to do a lot of care and maintence to a knife...not everyone but most of the people I asked. now as far as collectors and serious knife buyers yeh a lot want the carbon steel but most of the time a serious collector isn't going to buy from a beginner with no reputation. so that just where I see the sales being right now) any way when I first started the 440 c I did testing on my own but I also made 8 coupons that were tested for hardness and grain. good call on the machine shops for testing I didn't thin of that each one was done slightly different as far as quench temp temper temp and oil vs plate. that gave me a very good idea of what HT works best with this steel but I have found even if you do the HT the same it can vary slightly that's why I always do the brass rod test to make sure its ok. As far as addons I was thinking of offering different clips for the sheath. For example if you like to carry it horizontal I have found the "combat loop" the best its similar to a tec lock but I think a lil more durable and aslo has a more secure way of locking to your belt. how ever it only works if you wear a belt. if you just want to clip it to sweat pants or something the "utili clips" are very good it also locks on very good its has a similar locking system to a suspender clip. I have not thought about the fire strikers but that is deffinitly a good tip thanks for that one. I think a lot of this is going to be on how I describe the knife. I als actually like the pink knife when she first asked me for a pink knife I was a lil stumped on how to make pink look good and tried color combinations pink and white pink and black but ended up just doing pink alone but it aslo has white g10 liners wich gives it a nice contrast I think....she also wanted the hello kitty logo on it some how....29 year old girl still loves hello kitty LOL I told her no on that I am not a engraver and I am not going to go through all the trouble to get a stencil made just to etch it once especially when I am making that pink one for free....I may tie a hello kitty logo on to a lanyard attached to the sheath.... the picture below is a knife I did early on I still think its one of the best as far as eye appeal that I have done. I posted this pic before but I just took a new pic of it. getting a good pic of this one was hard cause it has so many mirrored surfaces at all different angles....some one had offered me $425 for this knife I had said no for a few reasons number one I love this one its MINE! LOL but also there are a few mistakes where the handle material meets the rear bolster its cracked so it has a big gap there...also this one was NOT epoxied only screws holding it on as I said still one of my favorites that one was 1084 steel

Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Guru

WNC Goater....just because your new at this doesn't mean I don't want to hear your opinion or advice. I DO I am new too you can teach me one day and maybe tomorrow I can teach you right? I get what your saying about a well known maker getting more yes of course that will happen but I also think you shouldn't sell yourself short if its a good quality knife you should get paid mostly on the quality first then yes a lil on reputation....I will not make a knife for the average joe just to break even. now if its a friend or family of course there would be a different price but if I am selling to a anonymous person online I am going to want to make money. first you have to pay for material if not then your paying someone to buy a knife from you. you will be out of business very quickly and then also you have time how much time did it take, you cant work for $2 a hour (if you want to make any money at this) I did scribble down a bit about cost for knife and time to do certain things. I also saw a video where a knife maker breaks down exactly how he prices his knives and he uses Microsoft excel to figure cost and time I think I will put something similar together... for me I need to know exactly what goes into a knife to price it and I think seeing that on paper will make that easier. again at the same time I don't expect to get the same as some one that has been doing this for years and years and has a good reputation. Also I think I am going to make a page to sell and yeh ill come up with a few different "models" like you said but also say that I will take custom orders IF number one I am not in the middle of doing a batch of the regular models for sale, number 2 the design has to be something I know I can do (I wouldn't want to take a order then find out I cant do what the customer wants) then the price has to be right deffintly higher then one of those "models" you build regulary lastly time do I have the time? does the customer want the knife in a acceptable time frame? I think all of this will take some time and trial and error to get things right so your making some money, the customer is happy, and most of all you still love to make knives
Old 08-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Guru

Smile You are going about it the right way

I'm retired and disabled, this is a moneymaking hobby for me. As I said I will make kit knives too. If you want kitchen knives it is easier for me to buy them from Texas Knifemaker Supply with cryo and RC test which they do free if you ask them. I cannot make a stainless kitchen knife cheaper and really not much better unless I use one of the new super steels, which I have done, but I had to sell the knife for $150 to break even with shipping and HT, cryo, etc. So I buy kit knives for kitchen knives. Look at Warther knives, just one Chef's knife is $100+, same for Wusthof and others. Warther jewels all their blades, it's kind of their trademark and I do a nicer jeweling too.

The cryo ones from TKS come in @ RC 58-59 and that's great. I sell three knife sets for $300 to $400. I explain just what and where they come from and offer custom touches like initials, handle materials, cratex jeweled edges and a linear hand sanded finish, stuff like that. I have a pending order for 5 sets. I do not say they are "Custom Knives" and not mention they are already made. Be honest and up front and people will trust you and not feel that maybe they are being taken. If I feel that way I won't do business with you if I can help it (accursed cable company).

Show your knives on Facebook if you have an account. I have gotten so much business from there I haven't opened my Etsy account yet. I have a lot of friends and family there.

I also do leatherwork as some folks have seen my sheaths and have wanted me to make them other stuff. I sold a sheath for a Medieval 18" dagger for $140. And could have kicked myself when he said that was the cheapest quote he got by $50! I made a purse for $100 bucks, just learned how from a youtube video. Being poor I have to come up with ways to make some extra money.lol

Tandy Leather has a ton of how to videos on various aspects of working leather. It is where I learned my advanced techniques. I have an artist friend that learned how to do scrimshaw. Talk about adding value to a knife, but she paints pictures that look like photographs.

Last edited by jimmontg; 08-04-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Guru

I am not retired (I am only 30) but I am waiting for my appointment to see a dissabilty judge (finally got a date but am I the only one that finds it amazing for the government to do anything in a timely manner) that is why I have so much time to put towards this hobby. it was just that a hobby at first but then in feb. my father died. so me and my mother are not going to have as much income (I know its horrible to look at it like that but its the truth) so when I got good enough and people started asking to buy them I saw a opportunity and I am going to try and take full advantage of this skill I have learned... I am not sure how I feel about kit knives if you do it like you do and you upfront and honest about it I see nothing wrong...and you make your own to...there is a " knife maker" out there I have seen that gets his steel water jetted heat treated and has a cnc machiene put in the bevel and all of that is outsourced he is not doing it himself all he does is put a handle on it and sharpen it and etch a logo....he does not tell most of his customers this and advertises them as hand made knives .....that I don't know how I like that not something I would do. leather is a large skill on its own that awesome that you can do that...I only made one leather sheath and it was very simple fold over and stitched and I dyed it black.....I am going to venture into that eventually. cause I know if done right it can greatly increase the value. but I don't want to take on to many things at once (making a few design "models", photaraphy of the knives, learning the business aspect,.. ect,,) I think if I try to do to much at once the quality will start to suffer somewhere.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Skilled

dtec, please do not misunderstand. I was not, nor do I suggest selling things at cost or "break even" price. I can sell a knife, most of them that I make, for around $125 and make a few bucks. Just guessing around $20 in materials and 5 hours labor. Not much, and thus far, everything I've made I put back in the form of materials & supplies. A good portion of what I've sold went toward that new KMG. I'm also working out of my home and using existing tools mostly so no overhead. Would I rather sell the sam knives for $250 or $300? You betcha! But realistically would they sell for that? Not likely. I'd rather sell three at $125-$150 than none at $300.
Neither would I sell a complete stranger a knife at "break even" price. And I wouldn't suggest that for anyone else. Being self employed and starting a small business 18 years ago, I also know that starting out requires some concessions to "get your foot in the door" and get your name out there. That doesn't mean working at a loss. That won't work in spite of what a lot of politicians think! I worked a year without drawing a penny out of our business in salary while my wife taught school.

And so my point is, I'll sell to friends and acquaintances at a good price while I build reputation and word of mouth "advertising". I've also given a few knives away with the requirement they be used, abused, and the recepient give me some feedback on what they think. I have sold a knife to a hunter up your way, who expressed an interest. I sold it at a greatly reduced price with the agreement he will use it this fall to butcher his deer and in camping/bushcraft and give me feedback.

So no, again, I'm not suggesting we make things and sell them to break even. My point was to do what it takes to get started and help in building sales.

I have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gpopecustomknives/
and a website: http://www.gpopecustomknives.com/

However, I've sold two from my FB page and the website has produced zilch from direct sales. I have sold some face-to-face after they have visited my website. Selling "online" puts you in a very comnpetitive marketplace with literally millions of others around the world selling knives. It is a difficult nut to crack, regardless of what you're selling.

So my point is, locally is going to be your best bet as you build a clientele base. Word of mouth advertising is the most valuable advertising in the world and the one you cannot buy, you have to earn it. Not saying online is not an option or won't pay off. It just may take a while.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Guru

yeh I see what your saying and yes I agree local stuff is defiantly a good option and yeh friends family can get a good price....I sold one to a old neighbor this man was like a older brother to me so I made it for him at cost he ended up giving me 30 bucks more but at the same time if one of his friends see it and want one it wont be the same price.....I have a very serious question how does your cost equal 20 bucks?!?!?? lets say that red an black one ...10 bucks steel maybe 20 belts 15 kirinite 3 bucks corbys then if I divide the liquid nitrogen costs by how many knives lets say 7 bucks...that alone is 55 yeh those numbers are off the top of my head but I am sure I am forgetting something....then ya got cost of machine's yeh I had a lot of stuff already 2 big purchases tho are the oven and the kmg and then ya got time....I wish I could do it for 20 bucks then I wouldn't have a problem getting rid of them for 90-100. trust me I know word of mouth is big and it will take time I don't expect to make a site then make millions the next day (I can wish tho right) I think one of the big markets now are tactical knives. not saying a young guy wont like a simple drop point hunter with some nice wood handles and a leather sheath but I bet if you check statistics. most of the older guys buying knives buy those drop point wood handle leather sheath but a lot of the younger generation want a combat looking tactical knife with a good looking kydex sheath...this is one reason I am starting to play around with cera coat to coat the knives different colors I got black grey and tan and I been playing around with some knives that either I never finished or one I messed up and just threw on the shelf. I finally think I got the right amount to spray at first I was putting to much on but it looks good on the right knife....I am hoping this may also give another lil edge on some of the online sales once I get it going but like you said that will take time
Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Guru

Just keep making nice knives and you'll get known.

Have you looked at the Knife Making business section here on the forum Dtech? There's a bunch of stuff there too. But you seem to have looked very hard and accurately at your expenses and that's a big step that not all take a hard look at.

Here is a tip on saving money on belts and cut it down by about 1/3. When doing the initial bevels and outlines use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a rock wheel as we called them in the welding field. Practice on some scrap. I have a 1x42 belt sander and made a 12" blade Arkansas toothpick. I found it easier to do the double edge with the angle grinder and I finished it up with the belt sander. I have always found starting a double edged knife easier, for me at least, with the hand grinder even when I have access to a bigger belt sander. You can use the sanding disks to 120 grit as well. It saves on belts. Use high quality wheels and sanding disc, safer and last longer.

Wear a face shield and heavy gloves as I have had a wheel explode and though it had a guard, pieces bounced and flew everywhere including my face, but that was years ago (80s) and I haven't had any of the newer grinding disks be as fragile as those old ones were. I use the grinder of necessity because of the size of my belts. My 1x42 has an 8" disc too, but I use that mainly for handles and flattening surfaces as the discs wear out to fast on steel. Oh, get a variable speed grinder, easier to work with than tearing it up @ 11,000 rpm.lol
Old 08-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
I have a very serious question how does your cost equal 20 bucks?!?!?? lets say that red an black one ...10 bucks steel maybe 20 belts 15 kirinite 3 bucks corbys then if I divide the liquid nitrogen costs by how many knives lets say 7 bucks...that alone is 55 yeh those numbers are off the top of my head but I am sure I am forgetting something....then ya got cost of machine's yeh I had a lot of stuff already 2 big purchases tho are the oven and the kmg and then ya got time....I wish I could do it for 20 bucks then I wouldn't have a problem getting rid of them for 90-100.

Again, you're misunderstanding my point, or perhaps I'm not making it very well.

48" of 1095 = about $18. I can get 5 or 6 blades from that, let's say 5. Add shipping costs over three or four of those 48" bars and let's say a blade cost $6(a bit too high).

Wood scales = $10. Or nothing - very little.

A couple brass pins and about 1" of brass tube, maybe $2 (and that's way high)

total cost = $18.

Now my point was, that is actual materials. I have made the point in the rather lengthy epistles I wrote above about the other costs associated. I don't know how to say that more clearly.
But note this, I'm not using stainless, corbys, kirinite, liquid nitrogen, nor do I use up $20 worth of belts in a single knife. If I add up my consummables as near as I can figure it may take me up to $35. $40 tops for the style of knife I build (which you diplomatically refer to as knives for old farts)

So yes, I can sell my current knives at $90 for a small basic bird & trout model with no add-ons, on up to $135 for a Hunter model and then continue to add for bolsters etc, and make some money though not much. I'm certainly not going to earn a living at it unless I can really crank them out in high volume and sell in high volume...which defeats the purpose of the craftsmanship/custom appeal doesn't it? That's kind of been my point but seems to keep getting lost.

Obviously, if you are using different materials and techniques, such as liquid nitrogen, stainless foil for HT stainless steel, corbys, more expensive handle materials, etc. , and your techniques are such that you use $20 worth of belts per blade, more epoxy or other consumable materials, then your cost per knife is obviously going to be higher.
No, you won't be able to make any money @ $90-$100 BTW, $90-$100 is a rarity for me, more typical in the $125-$135 range. That's starting price point for a basic model with blah wood.

I also mentioned cost of equipment. I don't have a clue as to how to accurately amortize (if that's the word) the cost of equipment in each knife as it would be broken down into the cost per knife over the life of equipment.

It sounds like you are on the right track as far as tracking your costs. Break it down as accurately as possible and keep track.

Also, if your focus is on cool tactical knives (for the young cool dudes ) then by all means, focus on that market and do it really well. Then aim your marketing of your product at that.

Edit to add: Again I find myself questioning my involvement to such an extent in this conversation because of my own lack of experience, at least experience in making, marketing and selling knives. I have extensive experience in another facet of craftsmanship, fine jewelry. So be aware I'm drawing on past experience, observations, but andmittedly, little actual experience in the knife world. So take everything I say with a grain of salt, FWIW, and consider this my legal disclaimer.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 08-05-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Skilled

dtec,
Maybe this will help you to look at this "for sale" area in this forum:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...e-Fixed-Blades

There are some well known knife makers and a plethora of different styles. People from all over the world are selling here, and a lot of collectors that buy. You can sort of see and get a feel for what's selling and for how much.

Since you like the "tactical" style, be sure and pay attention to the tanto style blades.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Guru

Ok...first guys don't get me wrong with that description of what knives "older vs younger " guys may like me personally I love both I can love the function and look of a drop point just as much as a tactical tanto (wnc goater yeh one reason I like tacticals is the look of a tanto) I guess it depends the mood I am in...but in my curiosity I have asked a lot of people what kind of knives they like. and the perfect example is my uncle said " I would want a large bowie knife with wood handle brass guard and nice leather sheat" then one of my good friends that is same age as me and he said. " I would want a large flat edged knife (yes that is what he called it eventually I found out he ment a tanto) with a plastic sheath (again he ment kydex) that I can strap to my leg oh and can you paint it black (one reason I started looking at cera coat)" so I am not saying that rule works all the time but most of the people I asked did fall into that.....as far as matterials yes your right I pay more for the stainless and all that goes with it also when I say I use 20 bucks worth of belts well not really lets say a 80, a 120, 220,400, maybe 600 each worth 4 bucks that's 20 bucks now for example that 80 can be used again for profile or something like that but I don't figure in re using belts and if I polish the knife its even more. we all have our own process witch may dictate some of the cost but also gives our knives all there own identity to the maker. I have also been doing some research into advertising and I have found making a fe you tube videos on how to do this or that with knife making will REALLY get your name out there. once I get a couple more knives done to put up on a page that is going to be one of the first things I am going to do. I met another maker online that has only been making knives slightly longer than me when he first started selling he put up a page and nothing for a couple months I think he said in 4 months he sold 3 knives. then he started making videos and from what he tells me now he cant make enough he does 5-7 blades a week all between 200-300 sale price in the beginning he was making to many not selling enough now its the opisate and he has a long wait time for his knives it seems to me that you tube may be one of the best ways to get your name out there that there is
Old 08-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Guru

oh and wncgoater I will check out that link....ya know I wont name names but I had found blade fourms before this one and not only will I say some people are just not helpful at all but some are just a ...umm... jerk (yes I had another word in mind) from my experience this forum is the exact opisat

Tags
art, axe, back, blade, bolsters, brass, case, design, handle, handle material, inlay, knife, knives, make, making, material, micarta, photography, pink, pins, sheffield, stainless, white, wood