MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Guru

new knives

yeh I posted this in a reply to another post by accident I ment to make a new thread oops/....any way I got NEW camera and mad a lil light box its amazing how much better the pics come out now that I can ill get some more up soon but let me know what you think both still need stching of logo and the one with red and black handle needs to be sharopend

Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Almost makes me want a pink knife....almost....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Guru

lol yeh the one thing I just noticed I don't know how I missed it the pins are stainless corby's they look brass in the pic I guess its a reflection from the camera ill haveto fix that....yeh that pink one was a bit of a challenge design wise thinking about what would go with pink remember I was asking about pins going into handle material I was going to put white material in front and back like bolsters but when I went to cut everything and lay it out it just didn't look right I tried a few things before I just went back to basics I guess and just stuck with a all pink handle no bolsters...I am very happy with the new camera tho first and foremst my sister is not getting her hands on this one and it is MUCH MUCH better than the other one at close up shots its a whole different world. now I can start posting some pics instead of describing them all to ya guys
Old 08-03-2016, 06:51 AM
Guru

They look very nice dtech. Remember I told you about Sheffield's? They have natural colored Paper Phenolic rods or micarta (page 11 in the catalogue) and they are reddish and kind of a dark pink in case you ever decide to make another pinkish knife. I have used them to pin a wood inlay on the bottom of a Viking axe handle and they look good.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Guru

nice thanks I I don't think I will be making many pink knives that one was a special request from a friend but if it close to the same color as the natural canvas sheets it may be very good looking for some wood handles
Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Skilled

Those look great and the photography is superb in my opinion! Nice, clean and purely functional. My kind of knife! Couple of questions:
1. Is the first blade hollow ground?
2. Steel? Is this some of the stainless you've been working with?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

On the non-pink handled knife you should crop out that extra gray space around the knife and tighten up the picture on the subject (more like the pink knife photo) ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Guru

thanks. wncgoater...nope neither one of them are hollow ground (I have found hollow grinding very very hard even when I use a jig to "set" the bevel then try freehand going up the grits so it will be a while I think before I get good at that). the steel is 440c stainless from nj steel barron.

ray yeh I know I already edited one that I rotated slightly and cropped I was very tired (probilly also the reason I didn't notice the pins looked like brass in the pink knife pic they are stainless just a bad reflection or something didn't notice till next day) when I posted these I had just finished the black and red one and put together a lil light box made from a cardboard box.....the day before was busy to so yeh just laziness but I did edit it since then.....I am going to take a few more pics tonight or tomorrow morning ill try to put some more up tomorow
Old 08-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Guru

Oh also guys I wanted to see what you think.....the black and red one I am thinking about making a few of them well close same profile maybe make one a lil smaller or bigger maybe different grind line (even tho I really like having the one straight angled grind line on that one) obviously different handles material. but any way since I want to start selling these and I think the next step would be to try and sell a few online (in addition to local stuff) so I was thinking of making a few of these to put online to sell....I have another one just like it I did testing on and its deffinitly functional and I find it very combtorable and its pleasing to the eye (to me any way) but I wanted you guys opinions on that do you think it could be a design people would like???
Old 08-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
Oh also guys I wanted to see what you think.....the black and red one I am thinking about making a few of them well close same profile maybe make one a lil smaller or bigger maybe different grind line (even tho I really like having the one straight angled grind line on that one) obviously different handles material. but any way since I want to start selling these and I think the next step would be to try and sell a few online (in addition to local stuff) so I was thinking of making a few of these to put online to sell....I have another one just like it I did testing on and its deffinitly functional and I find it very combtorable and its pleasing to the eye (to me any way) but I wanted you guys opinions on that do you think it could be a design people would like???
Initially I'd say yes, that is an attractive and sellable knife. But in my short life in "custom knife world" people like to know "functional intent" for lack of a better term. In other words, what is it for? Is it just a general purpose knife or camping knife or kitchen knife or...? If it's just a "knife for sale" I'd say come up with a definition to make it special.

I'd guess to the general public the stainless steel and synthetic handle is a plus. If people are buying without holding it in their hands, even though they can see it on a screen you have to sell it. People want details and descriptions. That goes for anything, not just knives.

And so... Give us some dimensions. That could be a big bowie size fighting knife or a neck knife...or kitchen parer. I'm guessing it's somewhere between, around 7 - 7 1/2" total and maybe a 3 1/2 - 4" blade length?

How do you intend to "sell online"? Just curious if website or etsy store, ebay or what?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Guru

That dark red and black kirinite handled knife Dtech, I really like that and would buy it if I couldn't make it myself.lol Although I might make the ricasso shorter, but it is a nice area to maybe etch a design on or possibly jewel or machine finish as some call it with cratex. If you look at my photo album titled "wavy knives" you can see what you can do with cratex. I always put it on the edge of my kitchen knives because it does make them cut better. Do you have a cross travel table for your drill press? It makes jeweling easier and precise. I like the blade on your pink acrylester knife too. That is a very good grind in both directions. The top grind into that curve denotes a skilled hand. Very good. With a nice cocobolo handle I would like that knife. Oh and if you want natural wood pink handles there is pink ivory and tulipwood, but pick the wood out yourself if you possibly can.

How did you make your photo box BTW? I bought a camera for $159 and it isn't working as good as I hoped, maybe a light box would help.

Last edited by jimmontg; 08-03-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Guru

thanks...yeh your right about the description thing because before I got into making I collected all sorts of knives and swords (if I were to guess a lot of us did) but when I got a new knife I relied on the description just as much as the picture..with swords even more so. I don't know what exactly I would classify this knife as I guess you can always say its a Every Day Carry but then again I feel sometimes when people classify a knife as a EDC its kinda like saying.."hmm this doesn't fit in other categories or I don't know what to call it" as far as size honestly I don't know exactly its not in front of me right now ill get back to ya on that....well so far I have gifted a few knives and sold a few to but its always been local word of mouth stuff (and I haven't sold a lot yet) I also have my nephew that is showing a couple to a guy that owns a store behind where he works from what he tells me its a hunting/ camping store but he sells a lot of knives so that's a option and I think you can only do so much doing it locally so the next step would be online.....not going to even bother with ebay or anything like that since there are so many knives for a lot less than I would be willing to sell knives for. I plan on making my own website. I do have some skill doing graphics and web design but they are very very rusty its been a LONG time since I did any of that but I think I can put togather a decent site. the only thing I am not sure of with that is how to get the word out and advertise (I am not going to sell any knives if no one knows the site exsist's) I have a lot of friends and family that would get the word out on facebook and stuff like that but again that only gets so far. so that I think is going to be one of the biggest barrier. a lot of the selling side I think will be some trial and error to find out what works and what doesn't......that being said I am also curious about price points I have a number in mind but I am curious as to what you guys think if it was you what price bracket would you try to sell that knife (the red and black one) i am just wondering how close my number is compared to every ones opinion
Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Guru

Where do you live dtec?
Old 08-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Guru

jimmontg....thanks man just seen your post we must have been typing at the same time....i have heard of people talking about jewling and cretex but really have no idea what it is ill have to look into it a bit i do like the wavy knives.....your right the riccasso area could be smaller i could have put the line straight vertical but i really like the look when it angled but it does make that space a bit bigger i am going to use that area to etch my logo with a stencil i got from earnie... i do have a cross travel vice but its very hard to work with as its pretty big and the drill press i have is a bench top one not a freestanding one so it small its a tough fit wwith that vise i only use it if i really need it....ill get a pic up soon i did another knife recently with cocobolo and that wood looks really good i like it seems you do too ill get some more pics up tomorrow as far as the photos...LIGHTBOX makes a world of difference...the camera i got is new i am not sure of the model of fthe top of my head illlet ya know but before this one i have only used a very cheep one that was horrible at close up shots the new camera is a million times better but even with that i found it very hard to get a good shot without the light box i follow directions in a video i saw and went and got a package of "daylight 65000K light bulbs" vey cheap $5 for a 4 pack i also had a few of those movable spot lights and put the bulbs in there that made the tint not so yellow. then i just took a cardboard box cut the back out and a "window" in the top i took white tissue paper and taped the whole inside so it was covered with the tissue paper then draped the tissue paper over the back of the box where i cut it out and over the window mounted 2 light in the back of the tissue paper pointing in and had some one holding the 3rd light at the window on the top the tissue paper can be substituted with a white garbage bag it just diffuses the light so you don't get bright reflections.....i also played with a couple pieces of cardboard paper (white and also black ) if you hold it in your hand and move it around in the box while you shoot it gives you slightly different reflections making the knife appear darker or lighter.....i would suggest you try it even if the camera isn't the best i think the light box would make a HUGE difference (i almost felt like a professional photographer LOL) hope that helps
Old 08-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Guru

i live in New York. not in the city....everytime i say NY every one thinks i live in manhattan or something i live in Putnam county i am about 45min to a hour north of manhattan (depending on traffic) i could get to the bronx in 30 mins so not that far out of the city but i am in the country compared to down there

Tags
art, axe, back, blade, bolsters, brass, case, design, handle, handle material, inlay, knife, knives, make, making, material, micarta, photography, pink, pins, sheffield, stainless, white, wood