MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Another Dumb A#$ Noob. LOL

Hi all,
Another noobie here. Have spent quite sometime looking on youtube and doesn't it always look easy? I think that's how you can tell how good someone is, by how easy they make something hard look. I have a Buck Kalinga hunting knife and anyone that has ever seen the sheath for it knows how crappy it looks (at least to me) like it was just folded over and a couple of rivets stuck in it,Oh pardon me, that's how it was made. So for a few months I have been thinking of making a new sheath for it. I have done quite a bit of research but I don't think I could have picked a harder knife to make a first sheath of than that one. I do have a few ideas to try and no matter how good or how bad it looks I will post it here for judgement. I figure I will make four or five sheaths for this before I hit it right. Right now I have the basic tools, thread, needles, etc... to make a sheath. The one thing I decided to start with is mediocre leather, you know, buy three pounds for ten bucks stuff. I would rather throw away three boxes of that instead of some nice sweet primo stuff until I can make a nice sheath. I will be doing a lot of this I think before it's all over. If anyone has ever made a sheath for that knife and has some tips I'm all ears.
Thanks
Pat
Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Pat, a lot of that leather scraps by the pound is not vegetable tanned. Chrome or wax tanned will mess up your knife. If you can post a picture of the knife we can help you with some ideas about sheath design.

Doug

Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
Pat, a lot of that leather scraps by the pound is not vegetable tanned. Chrome or wax tanned will mess up your knife. If you can post a picture of the knife we can help you with some ideas about sheath design.

Doug

Hi Doug, thanks for the info. I just tried a post but it went now where. Just vanished, I didn't know that about the leather, for sure it will just be practice crap now. Here's the picture (or a link to it, not sure which) of my knife.
thanks
Pat

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r1/Kilinga.jpg
Old 03-31-2014, 05:27 PM

Also another question, best leather knife sheath videos out there to get and watch over and over??
Thanks
Pat
Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Chuck Burroughs/Wild Rose - excellent beginners tutorial.
Should be able to find a link here on this forum.

I agree with Doug, bag-o-scraps is usually all chrome tanned and not suitable for contact with metals. However Tandy's does sell scrap bags of veggie tanned cutoffs. just be specific that you want veg tanned.

That's a tough knife profile to make a sheath for, for a beginner. That trailing/sweeping point can be an issue to confine safely. Could start with patterning based on original sheath, however if the blade tip is sharp and someone is sloppy resheathing the knife, it can easily come through the leather.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
art, bee, buck, design, easy, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knife sheath, kydex, leather, made, make, making, noob, photography, post, rivets, sheath, sheaths, throw, tips, tools, wax