MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

I have seen a great improvement in the last couple of photos. You mentioned a 3 light set up, this is common in product photography, but the 3 lights would have adjustable power settings. A photographer would call them Key Light, Fill Light and Back or High Light. The Key Light would be set at the proper exposure and the other lights would be set at plus or minus 1/2 to plus or minus 2 stops depending on what they are trying to do. You don't have power control but you can move the lights closer or further away to achieve the same effect.

You may need to add some scrims and barn doors. You don't have to buy them, you can make them.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Steel Addict

This one looks real good. One thing to keep in mind about lighting is the "type" of lighting being used. Of course, natural lighting is always the best. But since we don't always have he option to use natural lighting, we need to adjust for the source we choose. Fluorescent light's will generally give you a "yellow" tint and most photographers wont use them. However, there is a way around this, and it is to adjust your white balance appropriately, either pre or post process. If shooting in raw, it is easy to adjust these things post process. Great work by the way, both in the knife and the photo.

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Thx, i didn't make it. I bought it. All of the ones im shooting were made by spencer aplin

Tags
550, advice, angle, back, bee, blade, choose, cleaning, common, easy, how to, image, knife, knives, lights, made, make, photography, post, stitch, surface, white