MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 02-15-2014, 07:53 PM

would like some honnest feed back

hi would like some honest feedback on some photos I have taken, not the knifes. I like and own them. I am trying to get better at taking pics of knife and am wondering if my f stop could be adjusted better or if my iso was to high and it reads grainy. thx in advance for the info.
http://[URL=http://s746.photobucket.com/user/ssticher/media/knifes/DSC_0137_zpsf624d908.jpg.html][/URL][/IMG]
Old 02-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Hi,
Please take my input with a grain of salt, as I am no professional. My feedback is largely about the setting more than the knife.

The knife is well lit (to my eyes anyways), but the reflection off the butt of the knife draws my attention, and detracts in my opinion from the clean lines.

The setting distracts me as well. I would look at finding a way to remove what looks like staples in the fabric in the background for a more professional look.

Same with cleaning up the edges of the 'pillow'. I've read in other threads about a rolled up ball of tape, sticky side out to get the knife to sit at the desired angle.

I know that you asked specifically about camera settings and I certainly can't help there, so I hope that I am not out of line by posting my thoughts of your photo.

It's looking good, and I'm sure that you'll find ways to tweak your setup and camera settings to your liking.

Cheers

Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Steel Addict

What were you camera setting? For ISO, always use the lowest allowed. If you have good lighting setup, ISO 200 should be easily obtained. As for your aperture(f/stop), it looks to me that you are using a very shallow field of view, as the tip of the blade appears out of focus. Also, I would go for a darker background for more contrast or a darker object for the knife to sit on. Not to dark, but I think it needs more contrast to make the knife pop out of the picture.

As stated, it appears that the butt of the knife is the focal point of the picture. Practice and practice more.

Nice knife by the way

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM

I see a lot of yellow in the pictures. You need daylight lighting, at least 5500K. This will give you proper light. Get the knife on a hard surface with a background that will absorb light and not reflect it back to the camera. Use a light box so you will not have things doing a mirrow effect on the knives. Get the knife in a position so one end is not so far off. This helps overall focus. Some cameras have a defocus on it. Anything overhead will reflect its image back down and into the lens.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 PM

Re

Its in a light box with daylight bulbs(although its not a great light box) i just receved a new light tent today, hope that it will be helpfull. I used a Nikon d3200, it was set at 1/3 sec with af stop of 13, i have taken some pics today with the advise from yall fine folk and ill post one here in a min. I still had my fstop set at 13, i had taken a bunch of pics with diffrent times and found that cutting back to about 1/5 sec shutter time and a black background the pics looked better to me but any info on how to make them better would be great. Thanks agin
Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 PM

Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM

sorry wrong photo
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM

and it was done with a low iso, around 100, thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Steel Addict

I think you are moving in the right direction. Are you using a tripod? If not, you need to have a minimum shudder speed of 1/focal length of lens. So, if you are using a 35mm lens, then your shudder should be set at minimum of 1/50. Also, I would not go any higher than f/8 on the aperture.

What I see in you last photo is what looks like motion blur. I should be able to read your makers mark in the photo while the entire knife is in focus.

Good looking knife.

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 PM

The lens is a 18-35 35mm. i am useing a tripod would my pics turn out better if i go to a 60mm lense. I also had a remote shutter release come in today and have better lights come in monday hope this will help some
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 PM

And thanks on the compliment on the knife and the info on the shots
Old 02-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Old 02-23-2014, 12:02 PM

ok, lets see if I can give better info this time, I am using a Nikon d3200 with a 18-35 lens. I used a light tent I bought. tripod, remote shutter release. 3 lights, one on top one on each side. they have 60 watt daylight floresnt bulbs. I was shooting in manual with a iso of 100, a f8 and shutter time of 1/10. my focal length was 24mm. I feel there has been improvements over the last 4 pic which I can thank yall for. any thing im doing wrong or could change or tweak? thanks aging for the advice in advance
Old 02-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Master

lookin good stitch !! I'd be happy with your last pic !! you made me pick up my camera and check my settings !! oh boy what a shambles I have !!

Tags
550, advice, angle, back, bee, blade, choose, cleaning, common, easy, how to, image, knife, knives, lights, made, make, photography, post, stitch, surface, white