MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 PM

Collaboration chopper with combination OTS sheath

OTS - over the shoulder

This one turned out pretty nice. I thank Coop for turning me onto the magic of a polarizing filter. I don't know how ya could do knife photography without one - mainly for controlling glare on handles and sheaths. That's the basis of this image:

The owner of this rig wanted the image to fit into a nice coffee-table sized binder, featuring knives from his collection, with all the particulars in text on the L side, and the 'museum' presentation styled photograph on the R.

The background is fabric, an American Elm log with two pieces of cocobolo wood as props for the knife and sheath, to tilt them toward the focal plane, around which is the window for focusing my lens at that distance.

The 'museum' look, as I imagine it, has a formality setting it apart from everything not worthy of... well, being in a museum. So, by extension I decided to eliminate ALL spurious reflections in the guard and belt buckle in photoshop. The blade actually required almost no touching up but the belt buckle especially was a mess, because of its continuous compound curves and highly reflective surface.

Style considerations meant desaturating all the metallic surfaces but for the brass frog and snap on the sheath etc. To keep it more realistic looking I introduced about 1% noise and worked in some shadowing.

The angle from the two lights was a mix of higher and then low with a lot of side light effect. I used reflectors elsewhere to bounce light around. The handle lighting was a particular challenge - how to bring out the 3D shape and show the grain without excessive hi-lights at certain angles.

One of the last tasks was to apply a very slight sepia tone filter to the whole image to very slightly bump color but mainly to keep the desaturated colorless metal from looking too sterile.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Here's an alternative presentation.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Steel Addict

Awesome photography work. Can't stop looking. I especially like the top pic background. Charlie
Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Steel Addict

Buddy
Fantastic Job at bringing this knife and sheath to life !!!!
Great work.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordless101 View Post
...I especially like the top pic background.
Thanks. The actual background, whether it's a flat section of nice wallpaper or a constructed one like in the first image, is a subjective matter of personal taste with no limits except... overall color which should follow the general rule of being an analogous (of the same color family) or complimentary color (of the opposite family of colors). Something in the blue/purple family was opposite or 'complimentary' and it seemed to me that I'd be better off starting with an analogous color overall. To make the knife and sheath pop I had to select just the background; then darken, blur and reduce color saturation.

Tags
awesome, blade, brass, guard, image, knife, knives, lights, photography, sheath