MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast

Lights

I have a tent/lightbox with four lights and I guess for the most part it works well,but I am not pleased with the lighting.

I have tried different bulbs, these are the ones I am currently using.

I always have to compensate for the white balance and my pictures don't seem to have that bright warm daylight look.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Lighting is always a tricky area to replicate.

6500K is better for knife photos than 2800k, but both are on the ends of the spectrum. If somehow you can find a range of bulbs in the 5000k spectrum, that is a good balance.

Even daylight ranges in Kelvin light temperatures, from a noon overcast day (6500k) to late sunset or early sunrise (3000k).

I shoot at around 5300k (it's the combination of 5500k strobes with the lowering value of the 2800k modeling lamps on as well.) Nonetheless, I color correct to white or grey on every shot I take.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop View Post
Lighting is always a tricky area to replicate.

6500K is better for knife photos than 2800k, but both are on the ends of the spectrum. If somehow you can find a range of bulbs in the 5000k spectrum, that is a good balance.

Even daylight ranges in Kelvin light temperatures, from a noon overcast day (6500k) to late sunset or early sunrise (3000k).

I shoot at around 5300k (it's the combination of 5500k strobes with the lowering value of the 2800k modeling lamps on as well.) Nonetheless, I color correct to white or grey on every shot I take.

Coop
Thanks Coop, I will look for some light around 5000k and give them a try.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 PM

I agree. It might be good to look on-line because in my experience it's difficult to find florescent bulbs in the 5500K range at the local hardware/home depot type places. I get mine from Denver Pro Photo, a great store near my home. The bulbs are more expensive and made specifically for photography but I'm not suggesting you go that route. You'll be very satisfied, I bet, with plain jane 5500K bulbs. 5500K light also makes a great starting point for post processing and editing.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM

O.K. guys this is all new to me. What does 5000k mean when it comes to light bulbs? And what should I look for, or ask for, when I go to the store.

'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
-Ronald Reagan
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsdad View Post
O.K. guys this is all new to me. What does 5000k mean when it comes to light bulbs? And what should I look for, or ask for, when I go to the store.
Here is a link that describes it
http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting...mperature.html

This is how they explain it.
Colour temperature is a standard method of describing colours for use in a range of situations and with different equipment. Colour temperatures are normally expressed in units called kelvins (K). Note that the term degrees kelvin is often used but is not technically correct.
Colour temperature means the temperature of an ideal black body radiator at which the colour of the light source and the black body are identical. (A black body is a theoretical radiator and absorber of energy at all electromagnetic wavelengths.)

Tags
knife, lights, photography