MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Master

Been a spell for me

Time flies and the other day my lab guys were asking me why they haven't seen any cutlery shots. Still kicking, just in a different area. Thought I'd share what has been keeping me occupied:

Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM

Nice, Michael. They say food photography is where the money is these days.
Best wishes,
BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Master

Thanks Buddy.

All the years shooting shiny objects, specular highlights were unwanted. Shooting food, the sparkle is an asset. Very different to shoot flat then find subjects that pop with some harshness. Losing highlight detail had been a characteristic I'd not used to benefit before, I'd adjusted the curve with cutlery to remain within. The goal to keep the hand rubbed satin finish detail.

Now I purposely blow some of the highlight to frame and then deepen the shadow to block-up. Certain subjects take it well but some not. All fun and to have the setting of aromatic food is a joy. I don't get to eat all the subjects but enough times the last ones are served while discussing other details. The chef's are usually interested when it comes to knife talk and they have some very nice knives. Theirs are typically well worn tools though.

One of the sushi shoots, the chef had a forged blade presented to him by his master on completion of his training. I could see that originally the finish quality was on par with a Japanese swordsmith, it was exquisite. I wish had seen it in pristine condition...it was a blade of masterful qualities. This knife also motivated me to attempt a build at that high a level. Even though purposeful, the simplicity in execution I found striking. Super precise and I'm sure it came from a traditional old world shop.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM

Interesting stuff. I can't say 'sushi shoot' fast more than twice without losing control of my lips!
It seems unfortunate that the knife world is so intolerant of anything but a fairly conservative photographic style, as compared to food, fashion, autos and even travel photography where there is encouragement to change it up a bit, keep it fresh - that kind of thing. Styles and techniques useful in those arenas aren't finding their way into custom knife photography. I'm not sure why but I doubt it's anything set in stone. What I really wonder is what would it take to change that. Any thoughts about this, one way or the other?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Master

Tongue twisters.

When I started shooting different product, I brought in proofs to show my photo mentor for feedback. At that time, he gave me a quick refresher. We walked out to the parking lot to assess lighting. He asked me to look at the cars and if I could see into the highlights as the sun reflected off the trim or paint. No. Could I see into the wheel wheels and discern shadow detail. No. Did I recognize this as a real object? Yes. As wide a dynamic range the eye has, it was still not in my ability to see the details at the ends.

This led into HDR practices and how the trend was to give the impression of such range but it was not a realistic result. He asked me if I recall what VGA color was, I didn't recall. Though I knew it was a greatly reduced color gamut. As far as the knife publications, I see this style confined in this area as well. In the pursuit to keep the ends, the graduations in tone are being limited.

As far as change, the knife photo editors need to spec differently. If they like that style, one is constrained to produce the photo's which will get printed. That look influences others to duplicate the style. With photography, the audience is wide and a variety of styles can appeal. If so, the goal is accomplished.

Ichiro Nagata for American Handgunner/Guns has a look I've liked. On trips to Japan, I would browse the magazine racks taking in the various lighting styles used. The balance of lighting using highlight and deep shadows is different than stateside.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Master

I've enjoyed the challenge and shift in subject matter. A couple more:

Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Master

Random watch shots:

The movement of the hand can be seen on this exposure. Some of the longer exposures of 3 seconds make an interesting stop motion blur.

The Ball watch I wanted to get a strip highlight effect and use the DOF plane that macro lenses have as their characteristics. At the same time not have the hard edge that comes with the pinpoint light sources that the sun provides. Not as refined as the mental image but it worked reasonably to the layout.

These are shot in natural lighting conditions. I've used a softbox and strobes less than a handful of times since 2010. Read that as the challenge to take harsh light and the movement of the sun to make fixed shots interesting.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Master

A couple baked goodies:

Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 AM

Some cool shots there - the tart with a raspberry - the baked rolls with seeds!!!

The lens I use all the time with knives would be very good for what you're into - it's a Canon 90mm tilt/shift.

The 45 mm t/s is probably better than the 90 which, as a telephoto, forces you to back away from your subject - at times too much.

Hiro Soga was using both the 90 and the 45 exclusively when I had an opportunity to be in his trailer studio while he was shooting. He was busy so I didn't ask a bunch of questions other than remarking about his use of two tilt/shift lenses more or less exclusively in the studio setting. He said what everybody says who uses t/s lenses - it's great to be able to adjust and manipulate the plane of focus. After that I wasted no time in getting one. I've always admired his style.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Master

The T/S are wonderful to work with. I've used them in passing and I would like to have one for food. Some of the work around's I've done in the past are composites that have been shot variable focus. This of course this adds more post work to manipulate.

Hiro Soga work is The use of light-dark-shadow among Japanese photographers is very nice. Can spot the style pretty consistently, when I see various images. I like the "drama" and there are a variety of books on Japanese shadows and the Wabi-Sabi design aesthetics. There was one show I'd seen on the PBS network about light and shadows in Japanese design. Very striking and applied to photography this is a fantastic look.

Buddy, do you have a favorite between the T/S's for the knife shots?

Last edited by M&J; 04-10-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Additional question

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, custom, cutlery, design, edge, files, forged, image, japanese, knife, knives, make, mentor, photography, post, satin finish, stone