MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Steel Addict

Multi-focus camera

For all you photographers in here this may be old news but it was new to me:

www.lytro.com

Just imagine where this technology may be in a few years.

-AlanR
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Will this be the breakthrough that will revolutionize photography as we've known it? Hard to tell.
There are two parts to understand: the technology behind light-field photography vs the business model being used to introduce it at the consumer level.

The technology will evolve and future uses will be discovered. We'll all have to wait and see where it goes in the future. I'm open to that.

However, the business model is IMHO, a negative. The CEO seems mainly focused on Facebook and the sharing of images that MUST be uploaded to the Lytro website. The shooter cannot directly share finished, edited images as we do now. Instead the data from the Lytro camera must be uploaded to the Lytro site where it can be accessed by a viewer who goes to the site and interacts with the image to move the focal point around front to back. It's a lot of work for the casual Facebook denizen. There is a gee whizz effect initially but will it replace the current model where anyone with a camera phone snaps a pic, immediately posts it on Facebook and anyone who wishes can instantly see it?

Yes, Lytro solves the current problem of shutter lag (read about it on their site) and they hype an end to out of focus pictures, of which there are a lot - given that folks mainly snapping pics with their camera phones are not into being photographers per se. But still, the viewer must go to the Lytro site and fiddle with the image to be able to sequentially see all the different points of focus.

Again, the implementation does two things with which I have a problem. I'm forced to go to their website where I will likely have to put up with some additional marketing AND then I'll have to fiddle around using their tool to get the benefit. I'll do that for say, a huge GigaPan image (see: http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=15374 ) but just to look at someone's party pics on Facebook?

I'm all for breakthrough technology in photography and I'm very curious to see where this goes but...

Alan -Where do you imagine this technology will be in a few years? Help me understand what you see in it. Thanks!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Steel Addict

Buddy, I immediately thought of some of your (and others') "stitched" images of various knives/swords when I saw this site. I agree, I don't think it's immediately going to change the way we want to interact with images but this could be one of those technologies that sets a spark off and the fire builds from there. Only time will tell. Interesting to say the least.

Thanks for the comments. I'm not a photographer but I do appreciate what you guys do and it's good to hear from your perspective.

-AlanR
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Alan - In searching around for more perspective on Lytro and light field imaging I did find references to two potential uses that made sense to me - security cameras and underwater cameras. In both of these applications it seems like Lytro could improve on the current viewing experience whether video or still shots.

Interacting with an image or video sequence from a security situation to pull a face out of the crowd with in-focus detail could be huge. Also interacting with underwater images in order to focus on different areas could be fun. I guess that same could be said of astrophotography - like zooming around in space or underwater!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Tags
image, knives, make, photography