MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

Digicam / DSLR Comparison

I have used the Canon G9 digicam since it's release a few years ago and after a lot of persistence I was able to get consistantly good images with it. Having just gone DSLR in January, I am beginning to get the hang of the shifts in your aproach to shooting with different lenses and from greater distances. I also notice a lot less time editing the images from a DSLR. I am currently using the Canon 450D with their 50mm 1.8 and am enjoying the step up from digicam to DSLR.
The top photo is from the Canon G9 and the lower from the 450D. I guess for comparison's sake, I should have taken shots of the same subject with both cameras but it is pretty easy to tell the difference without having done so. I consider the time I have spent using the digicam a good stepping stone and the information I have received in this forum priceless.
Greg

Last edited by mckenna; 03-15-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

Does my path from digicam to DSLR represent the same way most forum members progressed in photography or am I a lone example ?
Greg
Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Hi Greg,

In testimony to how well you dialed in the digicam, You could have told me they are both from the same camera--I can barely tell the quality differences.

In the first I see some 'noise' in the backspine. Lighting is great, though. (I saved them and your f-stop was f-8 on the first, and f-16 on the second. Both VERY file heavy: Almost one megabyte each. Not needed. Save lower. This size images should run about 300kb max.)

Of course the natural progression from inexpensive cameras (digicams) goes to the DSLR. You are doing what we all did.

Keep at it.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
photography