MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast

I got a Website!

Hey guys, I finally got a webrite up! Please check it out and let me know if you guys find something that doesn't work properly. Any suggestions and ideas are very welcome. Thanks!

sergeknives.com

http://sergeknives.com/
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Skilled

Looks really good Serge. You have some really great looking knives posted there, nice job. If I had any suggestions at all it would be to darken the print on your home page to make reading it a little easier, but then it could be I am just getting old. Overall though it does look great.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Master

Serge-
Overall very nice looking website. Nice diplay of your work and easy to navigate. If I had one suggestion I would add an "about me" page or maybe more bio information on your home page. I've talked to quite a few collectors and something I noticed is that when they're showing me a knife they tend to tell me more about the maker than the knife itself. Maybe it's because I'm a maker - I don't know? I think collectors like a knife with a story. You are the story.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Good looking site, with nice layout. Besides revising the print to be more easily read, I can offer one other suggestion.

On your gallery, maybe provide more information about the knives you've made, and your process. Do you do stock removal only, forging, a combination? What steels do you use? Do you make your own sheaths?

If a customer looks at a particular knife in the gallery and wants one similar, they have no idea if your work is affordable or not unless they contact you directly and wait for you to respond. In this age of immediate internet gratification, if you provide information about what a comparable knife would cost, what the size of the knife is, etc., people might be more likely to stay on your site and contact you with an order.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Hi Serge,

I like your knives, and you deserve a good website. I'm pleased for you. (Nice photography, too. You do it all well. )

^^ Good ideas presented.

The text on the Home Page is all bunched together and barely legible. It's been mentioned already, and it's impacting a first-time viewers perception. Show quality everywhere in your work. Have your website person use a different font, and don't reshape the text block. There are fonts which are more internet friendly. Less cursive is better.

Keep it up. Keep us posted.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the great suggestions guys! Jim, I will be sending you a knife or two sometime soon

http://sergeknives.com/

Tags
forging, knife, knives, photography