MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Great South SHOW TIME In Atlanta Ga!

Finally, Marietta Georgia (Atlanta) and the Great South Knife Show.

My 3 hour trip took 5 thanks to 2 accidents on I-75; but most important is that I made it in one piece. Got a great room close to the Cobb County Civic Center, where the show will be held and went by tonight to check out how set up is going. I found Carl, Ken, Rade, and friend plotting and planning on how to make the most of the weekend.

But it takes more than plotting and planning to make a great weekend, and that means lots of bodies to handle the different jobs and lots of hard work to pull off a quality knife show.

Nelson Simmons, a new knife maker and son of Ken Simmons is here this weekend. He has made some great strides perfecting his craft. Ruth, Ken's wife, is making the sheaths for Nelson's knives. Seems the Simmons' have turned knifemaking into a family affair.

Carl gave Ruth's sheaths a close look and gave her a thumbs up and some helpful tips. These sheaths are Ruth's very first.

She seems to have some natural talent for this. When you see her this weekend be sure and ask to see her carved leather cellphone case. I've already put in my order.

I saw a few of the names of those who have tables this weekend and find I may leave here with my purse a little lighter but my knife collection heavier. I can't wait to see what Rick Lowe has brought to display. And I've already visited June Hawkins' table and picked out several wildlife carvings.

For those of you in the area, drop on by. It is always good to see all of you and catch up on how everyone is doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4437-Carl-Ken-Rade.jpg (57.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4439-workers.jpg (60.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4445-Ken's Son.jpg (85.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4449-tips.jpg (72.7 KB, 74 views)

Old 10-13-2007, 07:04 PM

Day one of the Great South Show is now gone. Everyone seemed to be having a good time all throughout the day. My tasks for the day were to help in the hospitality suite and to help man the GCKG show table.

We have a display of knives on the show table that is representative of work by our Guild members that were present. Plus, we were displaying one of John's hunters that the Guild is raffling with the proceeds going to the John Poythress Scholarship Fund. The drawing will be held at the close of the show tomorrow. I can't wait to see who gets to take the knife home with them....but that is tomorrow.

There is such a great balance of experienced makers--like Wayne Hensley, Jim Ragsdale, Carl Rechsteiner, Warren Glover, TwinBlades, and on-----along with the newbies like Nelson Simmons and CW Dutton.

But there was also talent just visiting the show. Gerald and Garrett White dropped by to visit. This father and son team make some really fine knives. John loved the work Garrett was doing on folders. When he first met Garrett several years ago, he was amazed at the talent he had already developed in crafting a folder.

And what would be a show without Pop and Kay. His supply table is always a good reason for the makers to slip away just to "visit" for a few minutes.

But I will have to say my all time favorite today was to have master leather-crafter, all around great guy, and a real Georgia Treasure drop by the show. Sandy Morrissey is always so much fun to visit with. And wouldn't you kow that just minutes after coming thru the door, his name was drawn for a door prize.

All in all, a good day of visiting, selling, checking out new styles of knives on display. I guess you can tell, I really had a good time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dutton.jpg (76.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Sandy.jpg (49.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Whites.jpg (71.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Pop.jpg (73.4 KB, 69 views)

Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Greay stuff Joan! Thank you for all your help today.
As she mentioned above, it takes alot of work and cooperation to set up and run a show like this one. Lots of folks behind the scene working hard without complaint make things run smooth.
You folks that took advantage of the Guild sponsored Hospitality Room, the team heading it up and doing such a fine job is Deborah and George Hancox. Lots of compliments to forward to this couple and all that have helped them.
The Fella keeping the rest of us in line and keeping things light hearted in the first pic is Jack Jackson, President of the Flint River Knife Club, 80+ years and still a mover and a shaker.
Having a great time everybody.....come see us.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Today, the 2007 Great South Show is now in the record books. I heard several folks say they had made a few sales and / or taken orders for future deliveries. Not to shabby for a show in a metro area with LOTS of other activities and craft shows going on and gorgeous weather to keep folks outside.

There were LOTS of great looking knives there by established makers and by new ones. I took a few pictures to post. But my favorite is one that---even though I left home saying I was not going to buy----now resides at my house.

This knife is absolutely beautiful. Carl Rechsteiner, the bladesmith, really out did himself on this one. The blade, the oak handle, and the mosiac damascus bolster and endcap, and the file work along the spine of the blade makes this one striking piece. But add to that the beautiful leather-work and you can see why I could not pass this one up.

The amazing thing is I stumbled on this knife quite by accident as I was "stealing" knives off vendor tables to "kill" some time pretending I could photograph a knife. It was just plain old "love at first sight". My favorite (and only) son-in-law, Frank, said if I was not going to give him one of John's knives at Christmas, he'd take this one as a substitute. I guess I'd better put this one in a real good hiding place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rechsteiner copy.jpg (47.8 KB, 359 views)

Tags
forge, knife, knives