MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Bob Warner

Need some GURU assistance.

I created a HUGE conversion chart. It is 56 pages if printed out. It is created in excel and every value has it's own cell. It looks like this (without the ..........):

........................................Standard US Threads

Thread Size*.................Basic Major Diameter......................Tap Drill Size**

.....#0-80.................................0.06........... .........................................3/64

.....#2-56............................... 0.086............................................. .....#50

And so on.

I copied the chart into Front Page 2000 and pasted it in. It looks fine. I preview it and it looks fine. I upload it to the web and go to the page and all I see is the title but NO chart at all. Any ideas what happened?

Old 01-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Shadowenterprise

Got link?

(kinda like got milk without the white frothy stuff)
Old 01-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Bob Warner

www.warnerknives.com/ultimate_conversion_chart.htm

But it appears that the chart did not go. However it took over a minute to upload at 10.3k/sec on ISDN line. It is 595kb in size.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:34 PM
MIKE KOLLER

It shows for me!!
Old 01-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Mike Sader

Bob, it worked for me too but you didn't show anything for a 1-72!!! Good work!! I can't even do anything in excel or any other !! Mike Sader
Old 01-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Bob Warner

Boy, I'm mad now!

Mike, I bet you are using Explorer aren't you?

I can see it in Explorer but not Netscape. I have to use Netscape because Explorer locks up on me after changing screen about three times and I have to reboot. I have tried every version and have removed and reinstalled several times.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas why this is not showing up in Netscape?

Maybe I should take up Knitting.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Bimjo

Bob,

Netscape is really picky about table structure. If you add </table> as the last line in your html file it should work in Netscape.

Let us know if that doesn't do it and I'll dig a bit deeper for you.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Bob Warner

Bimjo,

Thanks, a little cut and paste and it works.

Now I just wish it loaded faster. I would guess it will take over 2 minutes for the average dial up person. The cable modem and DSL guys will be OK but the guy with 56K is going to be a while. I thought of splitting it up but then I though it is "Just text" and it should load fast, WRONG. Right now my fingers are bloody from all the typing to get it done so I don't feel like messing with it. Maybe at a later time.

Thanks, now I will go put it on the TIP &TRICKS thread in the SR Johnson forum.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:50 AM
Bimjo

Some days I get lucky.

If you break this monster (great resourse BTW!) into smaller tables it will load faster, or at least it will appear to load faster.

Let me explain- Netscape in particular (and other nefarious felons as well) will not display a table until the entire contents of that table has rendered. Have you ever noticed the CKD forum pages seem to hang and then"pop" onto the screen all at once? That's because the browser is waiting for something (usually a graphic) to load before displaying the table. While it may take just as long for the entire page to load, the individual sections will load faster and geive viewers something to look at besides your page background.

Breaking one very large table (like yours) into smaller pieces can drastically reduce the load/display time. And you're right, it does take about 2 minutes on a 56k dailup connection.

Since you've already got the sections divided alphabetically that would seem to be a logical place to make new tables. Nothing too difficult. If you want to do it & need some help, just holler.

***edit*** Okay, I just went and checked the load time and it's around 20 seconds in NS4.72 on a 49.3 dialup connection. Not horrible, but could be faster. The missing ending table tag was the major culprit speed wise, as well as why it wouldn't display in NS.