MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Steel Addict

Cryo treatment of knives

I have a question. I have looked into LG and keroseen dry ice cryo treatments of stainless steal knives. My question is if you are a new maker and make 2 to 3 knives per month is cryo treating the knives worth while and cost effective. Which method is best and most cost efficient. I do my heat treatment myself and have and oven. I also have a large walk in freezer. You feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Most any blade worthy stainless will benefit from cryo to some degree. Some, like 440c, gain a little and others , like S30V, gain quite a bit. But, cryo isn't required and you can make a perfectly serviceable blade without it.

A walk in freezer won't be of much use for cryo. To be really effective cryo needs to be at least -100 F .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Steel Addict

Ray, thank you for your response. I mentioned the freezer because I was told that you could use dry ice and kerosene as a cryo treatment and put it in the freezer. The freezer is 30 to 40 below. I know you have you use LG in your video. Is it coast effective for small production (1 to 3 knives per month). I heard the edge retention is better with the cryo treatment.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Depending on the steel cryo can give you an extra point or two in hardness. More than anything else, I feel that cryo gives more toughness to almost any alloyed steel.

Cryo could be cost effective for you by using that freezer along with kerosene and dry ice - cost effective being defined as maybe $20 per knife at a guess. LN would be cost effective only if you already owned some type of suitable container for it and if you have a welding supply or medical supply nearby where you could get the LN. I have a $900 Dewar (15 year old price) that costs about $75 to fill and lasts about 6 months after making some careful mods to its storage situation (3 months without mods). You'd have to decide for yourself whether or not that could be cost effective for your situation ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Steel Addict

In the video it looked like you build an insulated box around your dewar. Is this the modifications you are speaking about? Again thanks for the education.

Tags
440c, blade, build, cryo, edge, education, heat, heat treatment, knife, knives, make, making, retention, s30v, small, stainless, steel, supply, toughness, video, welding