MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

Using a 6 X 48 for flat grinds....

Does anyone have a 6" X 48" belt grinder with a 12" wheel? Have you used it for flat grinds? I will be making a few flat ground blades about 4-5" long and saw a 6 x 48 at Sears. I bought it, unpacked it, took one look at all the plastic parts and boxed it up and returned it. I ordered the Grizzly G1276, a 6 X 48 w/12" wheel with a 1725 rpm motor and belt speed of 2500 fpm, the other Grizzly model is 5000 fpm. This machine is solid, all metal, with two tables, one for the belt and one for the disk. The quality is excellent. I haven't bought Grizzly before, and I was suprised (built by an ISO9001 company in Taiwan). I plan on making flat grinds without the dreaded 2" mark. The motor is direct drive and the machine is very quiet. It came prewired for 110V (12A), but I am going to wire it for 220V (6A), thinking that motors run more efficiently at 220V.
Ought to do a good job with a flat grind, thinking chisel grind with the grind going all the way to zero (sharp with no secondary bevel).
The 12" disk will be a pain because I can't use square 9 x 11" sheets, but I still may make a 9" disk grinder with Beamont Metal Works 9" aluminum disk with a 1 degree beveled face (GD-900B).
Any experience with one of these Grizzly sanders?
Thanks,
BillFoote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have that same grizzly sander as well as an entire shop full of grizzly equipment. I've never had any reason to be disappointed with any of it and believe Grizzly offers excellent quality for the price.

Avoiding the dreaded 2" mark is mostly a matter of practice. I have never ground blades on my 6x48 but I am sure I could if I wanted to and I know other people have ground blades on similar machines. Go for it....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Famed Bowie maker D. E. Henry used a 6 x 48.............

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Master

ive used a 6x48 sander for flat grinding for about 14years(parttime)...it wasnt until last year when i bought a 2x72 grizzly that i used anything else. now i use the grizzly for most things since its faster and cheaper to use but i sometimes finish up certain designs on the 6x48...long straight grinds mostly. to me its easier to judge the proper angle when pushing the steel against the wider platen.
my 6x48 is an odd brand though...think its "lobo" came with a disc but i removed it long ago.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks,
I'm looking forward to grinding the first one.
Bill