MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-24-2000, 08:15 AM
Tony

forge itch

I've been using my whishper forge for a couple months now. About 5 weeks ago I started getting itchy and it got bad enough I ended up going to a dermatologist. Since there was no rash and my blood tests were normal he gave me two prescriptions and a shot of steroids and said come back in 3 weeks.

I really suspected it was something in my shop, so I stayed out a couple days and the itch almost disappeared. Back in the shop forging, more itch.

The forge is in a 12X20 shop with good exhaust ventilation, and I always use a respirator working around it, but I think working in the forge area is somehow causing the problem. Dry skin seems too simple an explanation, but...

I'd be interested (and surprised)if anybody else had run into anything similar working around a gas forge.
Old 12-24-2000, 09:26 AM
Ed Caffrey

Hi Tony!
The first thought that pops into my mind it the refractory in the forge. I know that Ka-wool is tough on some people, others have physical problems working around the insul-board. I personally get itchy when working with the Ka-wool, whether it's in the forge, or actually handling the stuff.
Everybody has different sensitivities to various materials, an example is me an cocobolo....................as long as I have the resperator on, I'm OK, but take it off and my eyes start puffing up, my nose runs, and I cough like a cat with a fur ball stuck. Maybe the best thing to do is to logically try to find out what it is that's bothering you, and then if possible, eliminate that material from your shop. Let us know how it goes!
Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2000, 08:24 PM
thrjejiv

Tony,

What's a "Whisper" forge? I'd like to make a propane forge but I don't really understand how venturi style burners work and so I'm afraid to make one. May I ask you how you built yours? Did you use plans or help? I've read and reread Ron Reil's Forge and Burner design web page but I still don't feel comfortable with it.

If you suspect that Kaowool is the culprit you might consider coating it with something like ITC 100. You can get it from any pottery supply store. If that doesn't work you might also consider using a castable refractory instead of Kaowool.

Reuben
Old 12-25-2000, 03:35 AM
Steelej

Forge Itch

First off I'd go with the repair/re-coating of the lining of the forge with any of the recommended paint/spray on hard coatings. Place a bit of kiln shelf or fire-brick on the bottom of the forge to protect the lining. Some rock wool linings have a dura-face on the hot side that is really hard on skin and benefits from a paint on coating. Some fluxes cause problems for some people so that might be the next avenue to explore. Also remember uv and other radiation can agravate sensitive skin and covering up, though hot may be the simplest overall solution. (But do wear natural non flaming fiber clothing!)
Old 12-25-2000, 03:36 AM
Steelej

forge itch

First off I'd go with the repair/re-coating of the lining of the forge with any of the recommended paint/spray on hard coatings. Place a bit of kiln shelf or fire-brick on the bottom of the forge to protect the lining. Some rock wool linings have a dura-face on the hot side that is really hard on skin and benefits from a paint on coating. Some fluxes cause problems for some people so that might be the next avenue to explore. Also remember uv and other radiation can agravate sensitive skin and covering up, though hot may be the simplest overall solution. (But do wear natural non flaming fiber clothing!)
Old 12-25-2000, 08:24 AM
Tony

whisper forge

Whisper is a brand name, thrjejiv. It's made by N C Tool. All the established knife makers I talked to said making a gas forge from scratch is not difficult, but I looked at various designs and decided this wasn't a place I wanted to take chances so I bought one. Whisper forges are expensive but well constructed. Mine is ideal for knife making (other than the fact it may be carcinogenic ;], and has some major advantages over a coal forge for knife blades--no smell or smoke, quick re-heats, and probably cheaper than coal. I think Kayne (kayneandson.com) carries them. They make a knifemaker's edition. Just a couple thoughts if you buy one: put it on a stand about should high so you don't end up looking like Igor at the end of the day, and use big propane tanks. I am leasing 100# tanks and glad I didn't get smaller ones.
Old 12-25-2000, 04:20 PM
justin time 1

Re: whisper forge

I sartwith a whisper daddy, I also had reservations about building one from scratch, I wish I would have listend from the start. I am now using one I built from Ed's plans, night and day diffrence. heats more evenly and is alot cheaper to run. and cost about $375 less.
Old 12-28-2000, 11:52 PM
Sweany

Hey, might be the propane itself, try moving the forge outside for a bit.
Do you start itching while running the forge? How long does it take to start itching, while you are forging?

Gases and particulates can build up pretty fast in an enclosed space.

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knife making