MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-19-2000, 09:51 AM
ScottWiley

False Edges

Hi Ed
My question is on grinding false edges. What method works best for you as far as keeping it even. I am having limited success and have thought of filing it in until my skill with the grinder improves.
Thanks
Scott

Old 12-19-2000, 01:23 PM
Fox Creek

false edges

Scott, nothing wrong with filing them at all. I have tried grinding , but I always mess it up. There can be a lot of subtlety in the exact form of a false edge, and filing is a better way for me to arrive at the final form, s l o w l y . My Mother has an old butcher knife she bought about 1945 for $.89 that has the most beautifully proportioned false edge/swage. I like a modest classy little swedge about 1/8 inch wide.
Old 12-19-2000, 04:25 PM
Jones Knives

Re: false edges

It is faster to grind them, but, it is also faster at messing them up.
I file my false edges in. That way I can keep checking the eveness of the bevels as I go.
Remember...You can remove the metal but you can't put it back on.
Old 12-19-2000, 04:28 PM
Don Cowles

False Edges

I think you guys just saved me some grief. I am about to put false edges on 4 blades, and I would have gone ahead with the grinder if I had not read these posts. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2000, 07:35 PM
Art Swyhart

I've had fair success on the grinder if I hold the blade vertically and run it up and down over the contact wheel
Old 12-19-2000, 07:56 PM
george tichbourne

false edge

I grind all of mine but that is only because I am usually in a hurry.It took a lot of practise to get them just right though.

George
Old 12-24-2000, 08:45 PM
Jason G Howell

I hated false edges at first, bith looks and making them. In 1998 I think everybody that ordered one wanted a false edge. Now I carry one and use it for deer exclusively. I can't grind one on a Burr King, but on the Bader, it's a dream. I start by scoring parralel lines just like I do for a grind. I grind almost to the center a little foreward of where I want to end up. As I push lines to the center, I end up pushing the clip back quite a bit. With the Bader, I look down the platen, knife at a slight angle, tip down, edge down. After a few, you seem to find the comfortable angle and find it from side to side. Here are a couple of my clips/false edges.

www.members.tripod.com/tinyknives/dambowwal.jpg
www.members.tripod.com/tinyknives/k00766.jpg

Old 12-27-2000, 11:24 PM
ScottWiley

Thanks for the help guys. I finished forging a 10"x2" Bowie with a long clip sometime ago. Everything went great until I started ginding the bevels in the clip. I totally destroyed the blade. The sad part is that was the best blade I had ever forged. Well anyway live and learn.
Scott
Old 12-29-2000, 01:33 PM
Geno

I grind false edges and clean them up with files if need be.
The more you practice, the better and easier it gets and the less filing you'll have to do.

Tags
blade, forging, knife