MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-08-2001, 11:07 PM
Ed Caffrey

Meeting on Firetalk

This was mentioned on one of the other forum areas, and it reminded me that I had once mentioned it on the old CKD forum. If I were to host a forum on forging, damascus, or whatever, would anyone be interested?
For those who don't know what "Firetalk" is.......it is a free downloaded program that allows you to voice chat over the internet. Just go to www.firetalk.com and download the free version of the program, install it on your computer, and follow the registration info. All you need are speakers and a microphone. Most of us that have the program are using a headset/mic combo from K-mart or other dept. stores that sell for about $10. If there is interest, I'll post a time and date that we can get together.
Old 01-09-2001, 07:19 AM
justin time 1

I would be very interested,I have several questions reguardin damascus.
Old 01-10-2001, 04:57 PM
spryor

Hi Ed. I think it's a great idea. I just need someone to guide me through the
process of making it work. I tried it a few times on the old forum, but....

And someone has mentioned using the $10. headsets from Walmart. I asked
a clerk about them the other day, and she said that they don't work on the
puter. I thinkin', since the phone's hooked to the puter anyway, wouldn't
they work for Firetalk anyway?

Thanks.

stevescutlery.com
Stephen L. Pryor

Old 01-10-2001, 05:59 PM
Ed Caffrey

Well, now we got three of us.....that's great!
Steve..Glad you came aboard! The headset that I have is a Kensiko brand, I purchased at K-mart for $9.95. It has a mic built in witht he headset that has two jacks on the end of the cord, one is plugged into the speaker jack on the back of your computer, and the other is plugging into the mic jack. I wanted both my speakers and headset to work, so I purchased two splitters from Radio Shack ($1.95 each) There about 4" long with a single plug that goes into the computer jack, and at the other end is two plugs, one for speakers and the other for the ear portion of the headset. Same deal with the mic jack
Just play around with the firetalk. Once you get it loaded, go to the "options" menu, and you can pretty much set it up like you want. If you do get on, my handle is Ed Caffrey, if you add that to your contacts list, it will tell you when I'm on line. I'll get us a date and time figured out, and post it up.
Old 01-10-2001, 09:14 PM
rlwashburn

Ed ,Put me down for the fire talk get together. Robert
Old 01-11-2001, 06:44 AM
Mike Conner

I got firetalk downloaded and working, just got to go get the headset and splitters. But for now I can at least listen and that might be better anyway
Mike
Old 01-11-2001, 09:45 AM
Don Carter

Me too!
Old 01-11-2001, 12:21 PM
Bowie

meting on Firetalk

Ed I would be evey interested in setting in on this type of topic.
Will this be talked about on an ongoing meeting at a given time each week or month , also will it be broken down in to catergeoies,- Getting started - welding - steels for color and contrast - steels that compliment properties desired in knives and swords . patteren development , Mosiac, Powder, heat treatment for color and contrast, just to mention a few
Im looking forward to getting my program down loaded so i can at least listen in
Ed will you use pictures to aid in this topic if so this could be great
Bowie
Old 01-11-2001, 12:35 PM
Ed Caffrey

Firetalk

Hi Bowie!
Great to see folks are interested! I don't think we can do the picture thing.......at least not yet. I think it will be a great time. I'll try to get us all into a chat room on firetalk, and have everyone there at the same time. You can't just listen! You have got to take part, cause I know I'll learn a lot from you! I'm gona talke to Alex about how to set up the chat room, and then we're off and running! Look for a post in my forum today on a date/time. This is gona be good!
Old 01-11-2001, 02:46 PM
CKDadmin

Re: Firetalk

OK men ... follow me!

Go to www.firetalk.com/for_pers..._free.html
and get the free personal verson. Signup and start the install.

Once installed, and before you start trying to make calls, read the docs on the FT website completely. Most of the information you'll need is right there and well written. Then open the program, look at the "help" menu and take the "quick tour". Also look at the "tools/options" on the FT console.

Then, go to the "New User Forum" and listen in. You'll hear the FT support team instructing everyone on how to set everything up. You'll also have the opportunity to have them check your sound and help you make corrections to your settings.

The 30 minutes you'll spend learning how FT works will be some of the most effective time you'll spend on the net. Then, look for "Atlanta Virtual" in the "find contacts" list. Once you have us added, give me a call online and I'll help you refine it even more!

This is one of the most powerful free programs you'll ever find. We run a complete support operation for our hosting business with it and we connect with users around the world. You can set up "virtual tours" where the host of a large group can open webpages on all the participants machines as they carry on the discussions. That's a really powerful thing to know, when you're showing a client from Australia, for instance, a knife on your site as you sell it by direct voice communication!

Alex

Tags
forging, knife, knives