MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-30-2001, 12:19 PM
robertwashburn

knife finish

What do you use to clean up the blade after you have tempered it and etched it ,to show the temper line?You can see the temper line on mine ,but it looks cloudy.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:20 PM
Ed Caffrey

finish

Hi Robert!
Getting the good temper line all begins at the hardening stage. I use a table in my quench tank to ensure I get the hardness line right where I want it. After that I temper, and then the finishing.......
Grind the blade to a 400-600 grit finish. Then begins the hand sanding with 400, then 600 grit paper, sanding length wise on the blade until ALL scratches are removed from the belt grinder. Look close, because even those little "shadow scratches" will show up in the etch. DO NOT BUFF ANYTHING, that will "smear" the grain boundary lines that later will be your temper line.
I then clean everything good with acetone, and into the etch. I let the blades etch just long enough to get that "slime" on them that forms when you etch (10-15 min depending on the etchant temp). I then clean them off with water and #0000 steel wool. Then into the TSP for about 10min. After that they get another scubbing with water and steel wool. Oil or wax them down good, and your done!

Tags
blade, knife