MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

tracking wheel spring question,

Sir,
Please see attachment, and I did try searching for this prior to asking this. Tracking wheel compression spring specifics, I can't find any good data for a starting point? The spring i have now i know zero about. I've got the engineering handbook on springs so i can run that side of the problem down. What i don't know is during operation the optimal upward force on the belt for adequate tracking. thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (78.3 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by nate d.; 12-01-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Nate!

I don't know where you're at, but don't get bogged down in a specific amount of force.....you want a fairly stiff spring.....I would just go to Ace Hardware, or somewhere similar and find a spring that matches the diameter and length you think you'll need. I built "adjusters" on my grinders for the spring, but they are always run with as much tension as I can muster from the spring(s).

Based on what I can see in the photo, it looks like you have a pretty light duty spring there.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Nate ;You can increas you spring with a heavyer spring or move it out twards the contact wheel to get the same results .You can doas Idid you can make the spring it'self ajustable by having a screw feed tenchion ajustment to control the force on the spring.My spring is inside of a 1" squair tube it is actualy 2 compression springs with a 1/2" X 13 tpi peice of all thread through it .A knob on the top end n a squair nut in the bottom .When you tighten the knob the squair nut shorten the space the springs are in increasing the tenchion on the belt.or the up pressure on the tracking wheel arm. the bottom of the bolt pushes aginst the lower frame ,as yours doesThat's just the way I did mine if it is of help you may contact me ,

Last edited by terry95917; 12-01-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: error in explaniton wording
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Terry explained what I called "adjusters" well. After reviewing the pic you posted again, that spring looks fairly light for the application. I'd suggest finding something with a similar sized coils, but larger diameter material.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
hardware, make, material