MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-11-2001, 09:43 AM
Don Carter

First time forge welding- successful damascus!

Great that the forums are back!
I went over to Ron Claiborne's house yesterday and forge-welded (forged for the first time!) an L6/Nickel billet. With Ron's guidance, successful weld of (initially) 52 layers- first time out!!! I have to say that with friendly, knowledgeable guidance and help, this was MUCH easier than I had expected. I learned more in one 8-hour session than in reading ALL of the books and posts over the last couple of years, got over my reservations of the 50lb trip hammer in his shop! I am SO stoked!!!! We lost a good deal of steel (still plenty there) because of the numerous heats while he was showing me the ropes, and my wife looked at me like I was a lunatic as I came home with a grin a mile wide and a billet 14" long, 1-1/2 inches wide, and 3/4 inch thick, ugly as all hell with scale. We got to 105 layers with it, and will fold it once more and beat a random pattern into it next session.

Anyone out there that has the opportunity to take advantage of this kind of gift take advantage of it. I came away with invaluable knowledge and was able to start a great friendship- priceless!

Thanx Ron!
Old 01-11-2001, 12:41 PM
Ed Caffrey

First time welder!!

Hi Don!
Welcome to our world!! You have every right to be "jacked up" about forge welding. I've been at it for 16 years, and I still get that "rush" everytime I make a billet of mosaic. I'm one of those guys who has to always slice a chunk off the billet, finish it down, and then run to ferric to see how the pattern looks. Starting out with nickel probably taugh you a lot. As time goes by you'll find yourself laying in bed, and all of a sudden you'll get an idea for some pattern or another, and then won't be able to sleep the rest of the night. Trust me........it happens. Glad to see another "iron mangler" born!
I'll look for you on firetalk......
Old 01-11-2001, 01:07 PM
Don Carter

Re: First time welder!!

Ed, thanx for the encouragement! I am VERY glad that he showed me on a gas forge!!! I still haven't made the coal forge yet- may put that off for awhile.
I never would have been able to do this without this current attitude of "share the wealth of knowledge" ( and a lot of Ron grabbing the billet & keeping it square and a lot of other things!!!)
It was not perfect, I sheared the weld on one end (lost about 3"). About half of what was lost was split completely, and will become bolsters, while the remainder will be the buttcap.

Thanx again,
Old 01-11-2001, 02:39 PM
Mike Conner

Congradulations Don,
I have not yet had the opportunity to do any forging, but am currently gathering the materials that I need to build a propane gas forge, but I am no rush as I want to be sure it is capable of reaching welding temperatures before I delve off into the assembly. I have always made my knives by stock removal, but at the Spirit Of steel Show back in September I had the opportunity to watch a couple of forging demonstrations and really got the fever to try it.
Once I get my forge built I hope to visit one of the area knifemakers who might be willing to spend some time showing me the ropes. I know that I have a lot to learn, but am really looking forward to it, kinda like a child waiting on Christmas to come.
Mike
Old 01-11-2001, 06:53 PM
rlwashburn

Once the forging bug bites you`ve had it.The sky is the limit of what you can produce.It`s the only way.

Tags
forge, forging, knives