MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-13-2001, 03:52 PM
darpinian

Which NC Forge is best ?

Hi Ed,
I'm a stock removal guy that works with stainless, but now
I have the urge to forge. I live in a subdivision so I need to
use gas. I've been looking at the NC Whisper Low Boy and the
NC Knifemaker. I would like to make damascus eventually also.
I would appreciate your suggestions !

Darp
Old 02-13-2001, 06:11 PM
Ed Caffrey

Hi Darp!
If you really want me to be honest.......neither of them. I just don't have any love for forges with a square design. The are just OK for forging straight steels, and although many folks do make damascus in them, the square design and the way the burners are situated make for hot spots in the forge chamber. This is not of earth shattering concern if you are making damascus with materials that are very compatiable with each other. Problems arise when materials that are less compatiable such as high carbons and mild steels, or as an example L-6 and O-1. The uneven heating will case delamination during twists or other such stressful operations.
Unless you can get your hands on a good used one, they are more pricey than I think they need to be.
The answer in my mind's eye is to make your own forge, with a round design. These forges are fairly easy to build, most of materials can be found at the scrap yard, and they heat much more evenly than forges of square designs.
You can make these forges with either castable refractory or Ka-wool liners. Most of the cost, will be in the propane fittings, regulator, hoses, and tank(s).
If you have a welder of some type, you can make the ka-wool type for under $100, although I don't recommend welding damascus in it. The castable type is a bit more spendy.......approx. $200, but my present castable forge sees almost daily use for welding damascus, and has been in service for over 2 years without repairs. The one prior to that lasted over 5 years before it need relined. Just my thoughts on the matter, but then again, I take a lot of pleasure in making the tools I work with, especially when the sometimes work better than what's currently available on the market.
Old 02-14-2001, 07:43 AM
darpinian

Forge

Thanks for the great info Ed.
I begain work on a single burner venturi type a few
months ago but for some reason someone
convinced me that it wouldn't get hot enough
for forge welding and I didn't finish it. I think
I'll go back to that project if you believe it
will do the job.
Darp
Old 02-14-2001, 01:20 PM
justin time 1

Re: Forge

Ed has a very good set of plans for building a forced air forge, He has put in terms that even I can understand, even better it realy works when you are done, it works so much better than the the well the square one that cost at least double what I put into the one I built.

Tags
forge, forging