MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-06-2001, 06:26 AM
calvin

drilling blades

My first three knives sit on the workbench waiting for me to drill the holes in them. They are made from the bar on a chainsaw. The bar was good carbon steel with some chromium added I beleive. I tried to drill the holes with a small drill press and several of the bits that I have. They will not drill this material. Do I need to buy some better drill bits?? What kind???? Do I need to heat the blades up and slowly cool to soften them then drill??? Do I need not to make more knives of this free material?? Do I need to get out of this knifemaking before it really agrivates me? All help and suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-06-2001, 06:36 AM
Don Cowles

Calvin, it sounds like your blades are made from hardened steel. You have several options: you can anneal the steel (heat it to non-magnetic, and allow to cool slowly), which should soften it to a point where you can drill the holes, and then re-heat treat. Alternatively, you can buy carbide drills to make the holes (expensive).

The cost of the materials for a beginning maker is far less than the value of the blood, sweat, and tears that go into the making of a knife. With that in mind, it is a good policy to buy knife steel (01, for example) of a known formula and condition (annealed and spheroidized). If you want to experiment with "free" stuff, expect to pay a fairly high price for the experience. It becomes worthwhile if you can get a whole lot of the same material, and develop some experience in how to handle it for optimium results, but generally, I would consider using found metals for grinding practice, perhaps, but not much else.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:49 AM
calvin

drilling

Thanks Don
Forgot to say that I am the mother of all newbies. Live in Louisiana and Terry Primos recommended that I join this group for stimulation conversation and the wealth of knowledge that is here.
The chain saw bars are free and I have a source that is non exaustable. For my first attempts at knife making I thought I would try the bars so that when I screwed up the knives I would have only lost nothin but gained a lot of experience. I will get some steel of known content and qualities when I have a little knowledge of what to do with it under my belt. The knives so far have turned out really nice (for a virgin maker) and have not been really hard to work except for the drilling. I may buy a set of carbide bits and ofset the "free" material. I also am into forging and may try to spot anneal.....read about it but have not done it.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:33 AM
Don Cowles

Re: drilling

It's all experience, and therefore has value. Stick with it- you have a great teacher in Terry. Can't go wrong there.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knife making, knives