MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Hollow grinding ideas

I really like the look of a nice hollow grind, I set up and really basic jig on my bench grinder and so far (with a lot of practice) its working ok. Then I went on youtube and found this : http://youtu.be/0GVB0qkRF1c
I cant afford a decent belt grinder so theres no way I can afford that setup, but I was thinking of buying 2 6" bench grinders (harbor freight probably) and making some kind of base where i could mount them next to each other and essentially make a hollow grinder like in the video just using stones rather than belts. Any ideas, any pros/cons you can think of befor ei waste my time and money?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Skilled

Nutball...The obvious advantage to using the set-up shown on u-tube is that both sides of the blade receive equal grinding at the same time as opposed to grinding one side at a time.
Personally, I think the belts would work better than stones although I will admit that I have never used either in that particular set-up.
In the video, the operator is inserting the blade from the bottom which means that the grinding action of the belts tends to pull the blade up between the wheels. Having had similar experiences with grinders and tool rests, I think a safer and more controlled approach would be to push the blade down against the rotation of the wheel.
Using the set-up in the video would also generate a lot of heat in the blade with the double grinding action, so if I were going to use this type of set-up, I would restrict it's use to the "rough grinding" rather than post HT.
There are some obvious problems with this set-up, but then again, there could be some very positive results from using this metheod.
Also noteworthy is that in the video, the operator has excellent access to both wheels. Using two bench type grinders would probably be difficult since the bodies of the two grinders would restrict access to the stones. Also, the spacing between the two srones would change as the stone wears down. Using belts would eliminate that problem.
My gut feeling is that it would be worth a try, but I doubt it would be as easy as it appears in the video.
Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

Last edited by Ed Tipton; 12-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Steel Addict

Nutball building your own can be gratifying both in thought and money.

Keep in mind the rotation of the wheels. If you try the bench grinders, one wil be grinding up, and one down. The Dow grind is the bad one and can suck the blade down between the fixed grinding wheels with catistrific results. Think very carefully about any designs you try out.

Erik
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Skilled

Nutball~ I have tried butting up two 4x36 harbor freight grinders together to acheive a hollow grind and it worked pretty well. The problem was it didn't create a very big bevel, maybe 1/4 inch. In my opinion not enough for decent cutting.
I do have to say though that the guy on the youtube video that makes hollow ground straight razors has a niffty set up...Fast and clean.

Tags
bevel, blade, building, easy, grinding, hollow grind, jig, knife, make, making, mount, post, video