MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Fitting leaking on Forge

I hooked up new regulator to my forge for its 2nd use. Everything was going as planned. I was hearing a Hissing noise but figured it was the flame. I got up to check the noise and could feel the JET OF PROPANE coming from the hose connector. Not on the threaded side but the back side that hose is attached. The hose is standard type and came on the new regulator. As you guessed it..by the time I figured it out and tried to stop it, the JET of PROPANE reached the ignition source and a nice 2 foot fireball went up with my hand in middle. Just burnt the hair off the back of my hand ( had glove on other hand) The ODP kicked in just as I Turned valve off. I thought maybe it wasnt tight enough so I redid the connection and same results. I have it reduced to fit the nipple on my burner.Is this type of connector not suppose to be used ?

PS. The emergency cut off valve was useless ! it was engulfed in the flame. So I dont understand why its recommended. ???

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fitting.jpg (16.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Just a guess but did you use the correct fitting to connect the hose? Otherwise the crimp may be bad if it is leaking where the hose and fitting are together.

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised!!

KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal
Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
The outer nut shaped part flexes.Even when on and tight. I thought there was something wrong with it so I went to Home Depot to look at another one. It has the same fitting and it flexes also. Maybe I dont have the correct on the other side of it but I used it before and it worked great. Maybe I didnt hear the HISSING then ? I used a reducer to get it to fit to the nipple on the burner. I ll take a pic of the whole setup.

Dave
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

There should be a fitting with a 45 degree shoulder above the threads so that the fitting tightens down without leaks.

If you go here at the bottom of the page are two fittings a 'T' and a straight one. They are gas fittings for the hose you are using I think.

There should be a similar shoulder but mirrored in the hose fitting to form a seal.

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised!!

KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Hall of Famer

The reason for the emergency cut off valve on your line is so that you can shut down your forge more rapidly than you can with the valve on the tank and prevent an accident like you had. Not to be critical, but what you should have done as soon as you were aware that you might have had a leak was to turn the forge off with the emergency cut off valve and then closed the valve on your tank. That might have kept you from getting burned. After the forge had cooled just a little you could have opened the gas valve on the tank, leaving the emergency valve closed, and spayed down the connections and the hose with soapy water and looked for bubbles.

Doug Lester

Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 AM

I'm with Doug on this. Where is your emergency cut off valve in relation to the tank to torch configuration? I have seen quite a few set up with the ECO on the wrong end and/or too cose to the business end. It should be near the tank. Much easier to cut off the gas when you are 4' to 6' away from a fire.

On cranking one up you should be ever diligent with all your senses - eyes, ears and nose. Any "abnormality" should be investigated immediately and throughly
"YOU ARE PLAYING WITH FIRE!" and you are throwing gas on it to boot.
We tend to take forge operation pretty casual (me included) but this is very serious stuff.
I am glad you did not get hurt.......Please be careful!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
forge