MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-22-2001, 12:10 PM
Steve Vanderkolff

spot softening ?

Is there any way of softening just one small spot on a blade? The knife I am making has already been heat treated and had the guard installed and I would really prefer not to have to remove the guard but I need to drill a couple of pin holes (dumb mistake).
Thanks
Steve
Oh I am using 440C 3/32 thick and I need to drill some 5/64 holes.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:57 PM
Don Cowles

Although spot annealing is possible (I've never done it), I would recommend using a carbide drill bit.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:58 PM
Bob Warner

You don't say where the holes need to be drilled so I will assume you need the holes in the tang for attaching the handle slabs.

You can use an oxy/acetelene torch or propane/mapp and oxygen torch (anything with a hot flame that is small) to heat the area of the tang needing drilled. I would wrap the blade in a wet cloth to be sure it stays cool. Heat the steel to a dull gray color and let cool slowly. This should do the trick for you.

Some people would consider heating the entire tang, your option.

Good Luck.
Old 11-22-2001, 02:42 PM
Navajas

spot annealing

440C is an air hardening steel and I don,t think spot annealing is going to do the job. Like Don says, Try a carbide bit. Bob please correct me if I am mistaken,I just haven,t had any luck spot annealing stainless steel.

Roland
Old 11-22-2001, 08:08 PM
Bob Warner

Re: spot annealing

440C is air hardening. I have spot anealed it by getting it hot and forcing it to cool very slowly. Sometime you still get hard spots but I have been abole to drill it out. Not saying it is easy but it is possible.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:22 PM
allan lanigan

Re: spot annealing

You could try a masonary drill bit available at most hardware stores,they don,t drill a a perfect hole ,and don, t last long but are cheap,but you won,t have to wait while you special order a carbide bit.drill at a low speed and use a steady pressure with lubricant..Hope this helps...
Old 11-22-2001, 09:37 PM
WinDancer

Soak a thick piece of felt in water [put some weight on it to hold it under water] for a couple hours, then into the freezer for a couple more.

Tape the felt as close as possible to the part you don't want to anneal. Turn the blade so the spot you want to drill is up and the felt down in a vise [usually point down].

Get the spot up to cherry red [I use a small propane torch from the hardware store], then stuff the whole thing in a deep bucket of ashes and leave it for at least an hour to cool and soften.

Use a glass-drilling bit [Home Depot, Lowes] and go slow with lots of Cool Tool. These bits will usualy break just at the end of the hole when they catch on the exit side- so drill almost through and then switch to a bit you don't like for the final piercing. Repeat the whole thing for the next hole.

There are probably a zillion ways to do this, and they all may work. This usualy works for me. And doing all this to drill a simple hole helps me remember not to harden until the drilling is done.Good luck-
Dave

Old 11-22-2001, 10:24 PM
Frank Niro

spot softening

Buy a reasonable qualite masonary bit in the size you want. Sears, Task, Black & Decker, Joran all purpose drill bits will all work ( Vermont has never worked for me). These bits will drill oversize holes- drill slowest speed and use cutting fluid of some kind. Believe i or not S.T.P. engine additive will work well. When placing your pins put one up against one end and one against the other hold end and you will get the job done nicely. Regards Frank.

Tags
blade, knife