MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-23-2001, 08:25 AM
antqcoltfan

Brass Rod Test

I have seen this test mentioned, but I have not been able to find what it is. Can someone tell me what this test is?

By the way, new to the forum, and I must say this is one awesome message board. I found it a couple days ago and I have learned alot in the last two days.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:24 AM
Raymond Richard

RE: Brass rod test

Welcome to CKD Forums, this test is done to check your knife edge. Mainly to see if your temper is right. Your blade is almost flat to the brass rod with your edge on the rod. You draw the knife the length of the edge down the brass rod. You should be able to see the edge flex and then go back to normal. If the edge bends and does not flex back your heat on the temper is to high. If the edge cracks your heat is to low. Its easier to be to hard, say if your edge is cracking and you did the draw at 350 raise it up another 25 degrees and try again. If the blade is to soft you have to go threw the whole heat treating process. Hope this helps.....Ray
Old 12-23-2001, 09:24 AM
MIKE KOLLER

First of all WELCOME

Second: I will try to explain the brass rod test for you.

Once a knife blade is finished and you have put an edge on it you take a piece of brass rod (I use 1/8" myself) and you lay it on a surface that will allow it to roll.
Now you take the knife and while holding at an angle you draw the edge across the rod (allow rod to roll).
You should be able to see the edge flex to the contour of the rod at the point were the two contact.The edge should return to normal.
If the edge flexes and doesn't return to normal,the edge is to soft and will not hold up to much use.
If the edge developes chips or cracks,it is to hard and also will be difficult to maintain.

You have or will here of differential heat-treatment,edge quenching,and maybe a few other words that describe the processes taking to develop/achieve an idea edge.

Hope this helped and again welcome to the CKD.
Mike K
Old 12-23-2001, 10:20 AM
antqcoltfan

Thanks for the responses. However, the term "drawing the edge across the brass rod" does this mean ---- 1) "slicing" the rod, or 2) "drawing" the edge as if you were sharpening the edge only backwards ie... laying the edge on the rod facing away from you and pulling the edge towards you.

Which is right?
Old 12-23-2001, 10:20 AM
Bimjo

Thanks guys

I've been wondering about this one as well.

Filing this all away for when I need it...
Old 12-23-2001, 11:18 AM
RNickl

Brass Rod test

Draw the edge tword you as if sharpening backwards. Use a good amount of pressure and if you watch close you'll see the edge flex and should go back again. I mount my rod in the vise when I do this, but letting it roll on the table may work better for you (I've got to much dirt and garbage on my table to let it roll).
Old 12-23-2001, 12:59 PM
antqcoltfan

Thanks for the info RNickl. Now I know. Isn't knowledge great?
Old 12-23-2001, 01:03 PM
Bob Warner

If I can, I will take a short video (MPG) of this test in action and put it up. That should clear up any uncertainties.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:40 PM
Bob Warner

I could not get my video stuff to work but did get a couple of pictures. I will start a new thread about it so others can find it easily. Please let me know if it helps.

Tags
blade, knife