MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

Cold Shut Question

Haven't posted in awhile but I am in the process of a blade and ran into a bit of a problem. It is a BIG Bowie....12" blade.....01 tool steel and L6 in a low layer count, twisted slow, cut into four, restacked and welded.

I forged the blade to shape and started to shape of the profile a bit when I noticed about an inch long dark line right at the center weld, right at the clip.

What I did was to flux the area....come up to weld heat, and squish if gently in the press.

As I type I am waiting for the blade to cool.....so far it looks like it welded up shut.

I have seen people flux little shuts in cable and tap them shut a bit......does anyone here have any experience in what I just did on the billet?

I will post later and let you know my result.

Greg
Old 03-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Good to hear from you again
Greg i try doing it with a lot of flux and a small hammer --tap tap tap
I have had this to happen more than not when I did not cut enough of the billet ends off
BOWIE 0 days DAMASCUS FREE

Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Skilled

Red face My experience - - -

Greg, you mentioned you "twisted" it,, here is what happened to me: I made up my first twist billet just a few weeks ago, a low layer count, twisted it at about 3/4" square.... my mistake... I did not grind it back sort of flat, so the "valleys" in the twists kinda folded in on themselves when I squished it flat. When I profiled out the blades, (yes I went that far) I now have these hole/voids that run in the same pattern as my twist lines. Not many, just a few per knife blade! YES,, very ugly! I will do things different next time, I also won't forget this "learning" experience. Perhaps this helps, I did not see these until I had the blades done to the point of profiling to shape. ----jon
Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies!

Well....so far so good. My initial grinding on the blade shows that those areas shut themselves......this was done with the press.

If anymore appear I will use Ron's "tap,tap" method.....but I think this one is good to go.

So far it looks like stacking the slow twist flattened out the twist pattern an I have a waterfall look of bright L6 running through all the O1 in broad lines. I will post the blade pics here in a few days or so.

BTW....the press is running great Ron.....but my customers won't let me play
Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Greg
Im also a fan of the "tapy tapy tapy" method, to me it gives the steel more of a push togather, than the hit ans slide you can sometimes get with the press.

This may sound wierd, but Ive seen steel at a welding heat with plenty of flux slide apart under the press like they were covered in grease. This is whay I mean by hit and slide, when its under pressure, its "slick" with flux, and can shift. The taping method will let it go at its own rate.

Plus I belive by slowly closing the cold shut, you give any "crud" in there ample opritunity to get out.

This may seem like a quirky way to explain it, but its the best way for this old country bumpkin to get it across, hope someone can put it better!

God Bless
Mike

Tags
blade, forge, knife