MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast

schwarzer finishing method

There are many ways to skin a cat. Most work fine. My method for finishing damascus depends on the original materials it is made from. Most of my work is 15n20 or L6 with a high 10 grade steel 1070 10 80 or 1095. If I am going yt heat blue the finished blade I always put in some 52100 to support the edge after the hot draw. Most of my blades are etched from about 800 to 2000 grit finish depending on the desired result. Some are mirror polished. We will get to that in a minute. I use ferric cloride and distilled water at about 50 50 mix . I never use tap water containing clorine . It will degrade your etch very rapidly. I also never leave my steel in the ferric over one minute at a time. I clean every minute with clear water (no clorine)and 2000 grit paper The black oxide acts as a resist and muddies your etch. I finish by using somthing with amonia to stop the action of the ferric . Always out side my shop. If the pattern is deep etched I give it a quick touch on a soft buffer then put the blade in a sonic bath to get rid of the compound. If the blade is to be heat colored the brighter the finish the brighter the resulting color. If you are making damascus out of steels lacking nickle use warm sulfruic or dilute nitric acid with the same cleaning tecnique. Be careful you only have one set of eyes. The more perfect the welds the shallower the etch. Heavy etching is a sign of poor tecnique . Again these are my methods developed over thirty years, I have made most of the mistakes several times.
I learn somthing new every time I meet a new maker. Take time of keep you steel clean as you etch . It makes a great difference in the final result.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Everyone..........pay attention to what Steve says! Wise words from one of the top makers in the world today!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Guru

Steve,
Thanks for the info!
How long long does it take to etch (on the average) a blade of 1084 and 15N20 using your method?
I always feel "lucky" when I get a good etch, and really appreciate this thread. I have wondered at times with blades from the same piece of cable, why they etch differently for me when I would swear I did everything the same. I am going to use this method as soon as it rains. Thanks!

KempKnives.com
Old 08-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

Dont wait for rain just use some distilled water . any time you use processed water cleaned with clorine it will slowly degrade your acid bath. Even if you just wash your blade with it the clorine will migrate into your bath with each dipping . Heat treatment will also affect your etch . Decarb is also a factor especially in cable. Ferric needs to be diluted at least 50% from the radio shack form to get the cleanest etch. I normally take 15 to 30 minutes to etch a blade. . I just put the clean blade in a minute at a time them scrub it with 2000 wet and dry in clear water then repeat the process until the depth of cut is achived. You can let the ferric cutfor a longer time but you will not get as nice a result. The 2000 help keep the raised areas polished . If I want a deep etch I use a glass brush from an artists supply to clean the deep areas of the blade.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Skilled

Great info, thanks.
Have you ever used vinigar to dilute your feric? I am going to be etching some Thunderforged damascus (1095 & 01), and I read to use 50/50 vinigar and feric to etch. From my schooling I thought vinigar was a base and would neutralize an acid.

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 08-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Guru

Thanks Steve, I'll see if I can get that to work for me. I've been using ferric about 7 to 1 with distilled (rain) water, but I've been cleaning in between with regular tap water, sand with 600, rag wipe, back into the etch. I've realized now that I really don't have a system, just keep etching until I like it.

KempKnives.com
Old 08-08-2004, 10:32 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Krammes
From my schooling I thought vinigar was a base and would neutralize an acid.

Thanks
Jeremy
Jeremy you shouldn't have to worry, vinegar is acetic acid if I remember correctly hence its reaction with baking soda, a base. Did you ever make the little volcanoes? My moms kitchen took forever to get the vinegar smell out of it, I probably went through 2 bottles of vinegar and 2 boxes of baking soda playing around with that stuff.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Hall of Famer

I'm under the impression that Ferric Chloride is a base, not an acid. There was a thread about this a long time ago, but I think it's lost in cyber space on the old forum.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-09-2004, 09:27 AM

FC is not acidic per se...however, it enables an acidic response to occur.

For what it's worth,
I've been using 1 Part FC, 2 Parts Distilled water, with 1 Part White Vinegar with great success...

The rest of my etching process is relatively similar to Steve's...Except that after the last "dunk", I drop the damascus into boiling disitilled water and baking soda for 10 minutes. Helps to set the last round of black oxides (I prefer a deep etch with lots of contrast). Then a quick squirt all over with acetone to instantly "dry" off any water.

Oh yeh...Like Steve, I prefer to finish off with approx. 2000 grit paper. I use 3M's polishing papers (The blue and then the pink for this particular application)...They go from approx 400 grit all the way to around 7000 grit and are just the "cat's meow!"

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-09-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Living Legend

If someone wants a more technical explanation of ferric chloride's acidity, try this:

www.artmondo.net/printworks/articles/ferric.htm
Old 08-09-2004, 10:19 AM

Thanks for that Fitz.

Good info, and written in layman's terms so that even I could understand it.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Living Legend

You're welcome. Seemed like a good, understandable explanation.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Dennis is right

I am always open to new ideas. I will try the vinigar next batch out. Even old dogs can refine tecnique. The indo china bunch use formic acid to etch kris blades . That is the same acid ants use to set us on fire. Cant imagine milking that many ants to get a pan full. Does any one know if it is comertially available? Hope they get a spell check on this soon.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Living Legend

Steve, formic acid is certainly available as a laboratory reagent; that much I know. You could try Aldrich Chemical or VWR Scientific if other sources fail. They require a business #######d address to ship to as a destination is the only hassle.

The addition of vinegar into the mix is going to increase the acid concentration obviously, and thus the rate of etching. This will probably translate to the higher alloy steel also getting etched more than at weaker concentrations given the same timing as no acetic acid in the mix. The actual differences may be negligible in terms of steel loss, but may provide some desirable variation in coloring.

Another possibility would be to mix table salt and vinegar, which would form a small bit of hydrochloric acid in the mix; this would afford another simple home etchant without having to keep muriatic acid around the shop to rust tools when the gas leaks out of the bottles. Chlorides of course attack steel very aggressively.

Last edited by fitzo; 08-09-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:46 PM

Actually, if you think about it, my formula is less acidic.

Instead of the FC being 1 to 1 with water, it's now 1 to 2...so the FC is less acidic.
The white vinegar is low acid as well.

I've done a lot of experimenting with both FC and Water,...and FC, Vinegar, and Water. I've tried different times for immersion, I've tried heat coloring after etching, I've even tried things like applying Van's cold gun blue after using the "pink" (3 micron) polishing paper on the etch (works really great by the way,...wonderful, subtle blue patina...only works on carbon damascus).
That's what I used on this knife (thanks to Rich Slaughter for the nifty photo) ...

I don't claim to know all the reasons why, but my last couple of etches have been my nicest by far, using the formula metioned earlier...1 Part FC, 2 Parts distilled water, one Part White Vinegar. It is a slightly slower etch because of the reduced acidity. My first "dunk" is 5 minutes. Each succeeding "dunk" is for two minutes. (BTW- The distilled water gets heated first in the microwave).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-09-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives