MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Skilled

Welding temps

I am looking to try my hand at making some damascus this winter. My forge is a simple venturi design i have 2 layers of 1" kaowool, and 3 or 4 coats of sanite over that. My pyrometer is reading just over 1900 degrees with the burner putting out around 4psi of LP. I know that ITC 100 will allow an increase in the interior temperature, but will it be enough to bring it to welding temps?

I only have 1 quart of ITC100 should i use it on this forge or should i design another forge for making dimascus?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
I am looking to try my hand at making some damascus this winter. My forge is a simple venturi design i have 2 layers of 1" kaowool, and 3 or 4 coats of sanite over that. My pyrometer is reading just over 1900 degrees with the burner putting out around 4psi of LP. I know that ITC 100 will allow an increase in the interior temperature, but will it be enough to bring it to welding temps?

I only have 1 quart of ITC100 should i use it on this forge or should i design another forge for making dimascus?
JDale, sorry but I have no answer for your question but suggest checking out http://www.hightemptools.com/supplies-mainpage.html and clicking on the FAQ button. This site is very informative if you haven't found it yet.

I am in the process of building a forge from a portable air container and according to the FAQ I should be able to get to welding temperature with a single venturi with a volume under 350 cubic inches. Mine will be about 330 ci. They also suggest thinning the ITC100 if you apply on top of Satanite. I also plan on lining the bottom with Bubble Alumina and a piece of Insboard on top of that.

I am very interested in the pyrometer you are using. Where did you get it, what brand/model is it and how do you mount one. Much thanks and good luck!

Tony Z
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Most of the makers that I've corresponded with want welding temperature of around 2200-2300?. That can be a little difficult to achieve with a venturi burner but there have been people who have done it. A forge with a blown burner is easier to get to those temperatues.

As far as lining the forge goes, if you use a castable refractory like Mizzou it pretty much proof against borax flux. If I were wanting to do a sacrificial bottom to the forge I would use hard fire brick. Both of those products can be obtained from High Temperature Tools and Refractory or may even Wayne Coe might stock them.

Doug

Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
If I were wanting to do a sacrificial bottom to the forge I would use hard fire brick. Doug
Hard brick is definately the way to go on a horizontal forge but if you have a verticle forge a very easy & inexpensive bottom to protect against borax is ground clay (generic kitty litter). I've used it for several years now.

Gary

Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 AM

You won't gain much from thicker coats of ITC100, it's meant to be a thin "wash" coat. While it will increase the efficiency of your forge it won't give you any appreciable increase in heat. If 1900 is top end, when you put a billet of steel in, the temp will drop really fast and you will probably not attain good welding heat at all. Just too big a "load".
You need to either step up your torch or go blown.
Recommend building a separate verticle forge for welding and redesign your venturi torch for greater volume or go with forced air. Why ruin a perfectly good forging forge just to make some pattern welded stuff? Vert's are not hard to build at all.

SIDE NOTE: the ITC100 is reconstitutable with some water if it dries up on you. Just wet and crush it up with an old spoon. Put it on watery thin, one coat is as good as five.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Skilled

As long as i am building a hydraulic press i might as well build another forge too then.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Hey, anyone can use two or three forges. . All kidding aside, there is no one forge design that will do everything well. I think that if you checked you would find that people who do forge welding have a specialized forge built for that purpose and use another for general forging.

Doug

Tags
apply, bee, brand, building, damascus, design, easy, fire, forge, forging, hand, hydraulic press, kit, make, making, mount, pattern, press, products, simple, steel, supplies, tools