MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Steel Addict

Photo Content

Well I followed the tutorial for the cheap light box as best as I could with the supplies I could get. I have a small compact digital camera (Kodak 7.2 mega pixels - M763) and a small desktop tripod. As a hobbyist knifemaker I can't afford big budgets so the light box was great. It has improved my pictures no end.

The problem is I am not happy with the content of the photos. I have tried photographing just the knife and sheath but I want something else in the photographs. I have used a couple of stones to help and pose the knife in these photos.

I am happy with the quality of the photos in general but I have trouble composing the picture if you know what I mean. I suppose I will develop my own style in time but I still feel like I am doing something wrong. I know I have to do something about reflections and I am getting some white card for that. I am going to keep my eyes open for bits I can put into the picture. I guess it's my lack of experience.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 09-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Steel Addict

Try something organic: deer antler, driftwood, that sort of thing and maybe something with some texture for the background. Knives and Blades don't seem to go together IMO.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Steel Addict

Nice blade BTW
Old 09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Steel Addict

Using organic objects is a great suggestion as SIXFOOTER has stated above. I think you will find that if you place the knives on a flatter angle it will help a lot with unwanted reflections. A lot of experimentation will help you discover pleasing compositions. Taking a look at other knife photo examples will also help to give you some ideas.

Barbara

Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 AM

Hi John,

When I got started, I found myself taking hundreds of shots without really knowing what I wanted or how to get there. I'd know it when I saw it...

Thanks goodness for digital cameras and futzing around. Toss 'em all in the can.

You are learning the drawbacks of highly reflective blades already. They can be tamed, but you have to understand light direction and pre-plan first and/or adjust after positioning.

When adding props the main subject still has to be the knife. Or at least extremely prominent.

I find most 'standard' knife images by newbies to need improvement. I suggest you show us your boring shots and layout and then I would suggest how to make that more attractive. If you have that down it's time to move to the props of your choice.

BTW, a Crafts store has all kinds of natural dried plants, glass beads, and assorted other things that are useful backgrounds and props.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Steel Addict

This is my lightbox.

It has a folded table cloth to protect the table and I usualy use a strip of wallpaper as a backdrop.

And some boring shots of the same knife with the sheath that I mostly took for my own records.

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 AM

Hi John,

Nice work creating your tent. I think it's plenty adequate.

I understand why you would be disappointed with these shots. They are not compelling at all. Let's improve them....

First things first. A knife will lay flat on the background, but that *may* not be the best angle to view it. If you can't get over the knife more, then rotate the knife to the lens. I use an adhesive putty, but for years I balled up masking tape (sticky side out) to accomplish the same.

Here is my shot on a plain background of a knife and sheath with the mark on the RH side, like yours.

It's a fine shot. The tip is elevated with a bit of tape and it's rotated slightly towards the camera. My lens is more overhead than yours, and I suggest you get in closer, if possible. The viewer want to see the profile of the knife, not the underside.

The sheath is included and It also had a bit of a lift to angle it towards the camera.

Come back again with a shot similar to this, if you would. Then we'll go over lighting direction.

Let's keep going....

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Coop, I will take some better pics as soon as I have finished my next knife. This one is on it's way to it's new owner.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Registered

Hey

Wonderful.I like them.These are very interesting.

---------------------------------------------

Please contact me

NATHANIEL@sycodas.am
RAFAEL@sycodas.co.ee
LESLIE@sycodas.gr
EDGAR@sycodas.hu
MILTON@sycodas.ru
Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Coop, I Have Been Pulling my Hair out Trying to Take Decent Photo's of my Knives, I Have A SONY 8.1 Megapixel Didital Camera and a Light Box, I Just Dont Seem to Get The Definition, and the Yellow Light Glare away. What Lights should I Use. ?
I Had a look at Johns Photo's, Hell if I can Only Get Close to That>

chris@cbknives.com
www.cbknives.com

"If you are patient in one Moment of Anger,
You will Escape a hundred Days of Sorrow."
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM

Need examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Hi Coop, I Have Been Pulling my Hair out Trying to Take Decent Photo's of my Knives, I Have A SONY 8.1 Megapixel Didital Camera and a Light Box, I Just Dont Seem to Get The Definition, and the Yellow Light Glare away. What Lights should I Use. ?
I Had a look at Johns Photo's, Hell if I can Only Get Close to That>
Hi Chris,

Do us a favor: Start up your own thread with examples, however poor you think they are. Only then can we help guide you.

Glad to. Let us know.

Coop

Tags
blade, knife, knives