MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:58 AM
Registered

Question New to forging...

I have been looking for forging tips, so if there is a good thread on this already feel free to just point me at that...I have done a bit of stock removal but trying to move into forging. I just can't seem to get the metal to move very much. I am using 5160 from a leaf spring, it's pretty thick and I don't seem to be having luck in drawing it out, or really doing much more than denting it, at least that's what it feels like to me. I have been watching youtube v##eos, but it doesn't seem to work for me like it does for them. Am I being impatient? Starting at the wrong place? Wrong steel? Help!
Old 12-25-2022, 08:32 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The Newbies Arena is a good place to start for general information when you have a specific question about knife making. For forging in particular you should check out Ed Caffrey's Workshop. You can find Ed's forum and others by scrolling a little further down this page and looking for the drop down box labeled Forum Jump . . .

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-26-2022, 06:29 AM

Get you some 1084, or similar. Forges like butter compared to the more alloyed steels and has a much more forgiving nature to newbie mistakes. Yes there is a learning curve to all of it, but you will learn quicker and better doing a little hands on with an experienced smith.
Check around there are smiths h##ing everywhere, we just don't stand out at the end of the driveway with a sign.
While Utube can be helpful in many ways, there is a lot of misinformation being posted and also a lot of miscommunication/misunderstanding in interpreting what is going on in a v##eo. Hands on is always better.
Won't go into how FIF has affected the smithing arena good and bad - it is more for entertainment and drama.
Check around and attend some events, hammer-ins, and see what clubs, guilds, organizations are local to you and get hooked up. You will enjoy the journey much more.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-27-2022, 08:52 PM
Hall of Famer

What are you using for a forge and anvil? Not knowing your setup it could be possible that you're not getting the steel hot enough, especially if you are forging a more complex alloy. The anvil could be too small or it could be of cast iron without a steel face which will kill the energy from the hammer

I also like to recommend The Master Bladesmith by Jim Hrissoulas. Don't let the title put you off. It's great for beginners.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 12-27-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:08 AM

Post your location. We have folks here from all over the world. Someone might be close enough to help you out face to face.
Doug is probably spot on with tools and heat. Black and dull red metal is not going to move. There is also a physics issue with energy vectors involved - hammer:anvil ratio is important to effectively move metal.

pm sent as well

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
1084, 5160, anvil, art, bee, ca, forge, forging, hammer, hot, iron, knife, knife making, making, metal, newbie, post, question, small, steel, stock removal, tips, workshop, youtube