MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via MSN to joalexvoss
Just a sheath

Good night.

I want to show to you a little work, a sheath in natural leather, dyed.

I hope you enjoy!

Best Regards!

Jo?o Alexandre Voss de Oliveira (aka VCA Knives)
Custom knifemaker
Brazil
------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cutelariaartesanal.com.br/vca/portfolio
http://cutelariaartesanal.com.br/blogvca
Old 07-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Enthusiast

Use an edger and then die and rub down the edges will make a world of difference. It looks good though. Very nice style.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Steel Addict

Nice tip, thanks!

Custom knifemaker
Brazil

Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Nice work !
Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Joal---This sub-forum, The Sheath Gallery, as originally started, is a location where one could have their sheaths critiqued by other sheath makers. Sometimes this embarrassed some, entertained others, and even helped those who appreciated the thought behind it all.

With this in mind, I will try to evaluate your sheath as to my opinion---which quite often does not concur with that of others!!! Please bear in mind that I am going to be as honest as I can with the intent to help you in your craft.

I would think it best if you could avail yourself of a better grade of leather that is free from scars or position them out of sight. Contrary to the myth created by the craft stores that scarred or marred leather is attractive and adds authenticity, it actually displays poor quality material. When scarred leather is dyed the scars are accentuated and the eyes are drawn to them like magnets---not good!

In the preceding sub-forum on sheath making, you showed where you had stitched in your welt prior to assembling the sheath. This step could be eliminated by cementing the welt in position and then stitching together in final assembly. This would save a large amount of un-needed labor and the reverse of the sheath would not show two lines of stitching.

I would find your sheath more pleasing to the eye if the outline of the sheath more closely followed the outline of the blade. I see no purpose in the peaks and valleys on the welted edges other than to give a visual distraction from reality.

I question the purpose of the "T" strap with snap on the face of the sheath. Is this for an inside the waistband carry? How does it function? A knife that long would be very uncomfortable carried that way.

Some of the little things that greatly enhance the appearance of a sheath would be in edging and creasing. Burnishing the welted edges and all other raw edges is a great plus and always lends a professional appearance.

At this time, now that I have completely alienated you from a potential friendship, I will not mention finishing or embellishment.

My friend, I hope that I have not offended you in this critique, it was not my intention. I saw enough promise in what you have accomplished that I thought a little nudge in the right direction was called for. ---Sandy Morrissey---

Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 AM

Joal
I hope you understand the spirit in which Dad (Sandy) has presented the above obserevations. It is obvious that you put a lot of time and effort into desiging and fabricating the sheath. The points about burnishing and finishing the edges and choosing leather without harsh scars are valid and spot on.

I went through this process of design, selection and refinement quite a few years ago and Dad turned on the light. He can be a little harder on you if he knows you up close and personal (he tossed one of my early Fido's Butt in the trash for me), but he does it in such a way that it's easy to take.

I kind of like the shaping/styling myself - different than what is norm. Seems a bit "over-fancy" (if I can use that phrase) for that style of working knife, but that's just me.
I'm not sure how you space out your bordering stitches from the edge but I've found a good sharp scribe gives me the best adjustable spacing to keep the stitches even with the edge. I would recommend moving them in just a bit more from the edge so that you can break the edges and burnish as mentioned above.

There's a hundred ways to skin a cat they say and I'm still trying to catch that buggar. So take all this with your favorite cold drink. Always a work in progress as I haven't totally transformed from the early FB sheaths to peacock feathers but I'm trying to get there.
You can see some of my better work in the Gallery at www.georgiaknifemakersguild.com

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Steel Addict

My dear friends, Sandy and Carl, I would not be annoyed with your comments, never. They are extremely valuable for a beginner like me, and be taken seriously when I make my next sheaths.
It was exactly what I expected this forum area, so ... relax!
The "T-shaped" piece is really a strap for carrying, but I agree that does not have much practical application.
Be sure that your criticisms only help!
I still lack many facilities and practice, but certainly I have a better job with time and practice. And "with a little help from my friends", of course ... lol ...

Thank U fellas!

Custom knifemaker
Brazil

Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Joal, friend, your response has opened the way to friendship. Not all take criticism as gracefully as you. Such replys make the effort all very worthwhile. Thanks!!! -Sandy-

Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 AM

Joal
With the help from the pros like Sandy and Paul here on the forums, we can't help but learn and get better. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Great forging video on your blog link, by the way. Although most of it speaks for itself, I wish I spoke Portugese.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Carl. Practice and time are great teachers. And the knowledge gained with those willing to help us.

Thanks for visiting my blog, I am currently involved in the construction of my belt grinder,
I must return as soon as possible to produce some pieces and share with friends.

Thank you all!

Custom knifemaker
Brazil

Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Steel Addict

Some years are passed, and today, reviewing the tips that were passed to me, I want to thank the critics received.

The original photos of that old sheath shown in this topic, in 2009, have been deleted, I still have a saved:

Really, a pretty crap.

In my current job I take into account the information passed on, especially by Sandy and Crax, whom I really thank. Your intervention was small, but essential for a newbie like me.

This is a sample of my current job:

So, my thanks to friends of the forum and the assistance that can give a simple critique.

Best regards from Brazil, an a nice Xmas to everyone.

Custom knifemaker
Brazil

Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Skilled

Joal, those last few are simply amazing. All are beautiful, but those massive workhorse sheathes are gorgeous.

I gotta ask you man, what does one of those go for? Did you make the blades as well?

I think I'm in love.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for your words, man!
Yes, I made the blades, some of my steel/leather work you can find in my portfolio (the link is in my signature).
I?m happy you enjoy!

Custom knifemaker
Brazil

Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Looking really good there Joao! Quite a step up, blade work is top notch as well.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM

A little more than three years have gone by since I critiqued your sheath work. Joao, my friend, it is very apparent that you took the advice that I and my adopted son, Crex, proffered to you! Your work is first class and I compliment you!

It is my hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and a New Year that brings prosperity and health. Wish you were close enough to drop into my shop. I am sure it would be advantageous for both of us. Cheers-------Sandy

Tags
advice, bee, blade, chris, christmas, forging, knife, leather, made, make, man, newbie, notch, post, prosperity, sand, sheath, simple, steel, tips