MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Skilled

Ariel Salaverria Custom Knives - I will stop taking orders for knives as of April 30t

My dear friends,

Since it's April 1st, please let me assure you this is not an April's Fool joke

When in 2004 I ventured into the online knife forums I had no idea of the kind of reception I was going to get from people around the world.

Things went OK for some time and then they started to go really well in terms of knife orders and work requests. Then I started to make other items in addition to the knives and people got interested in that type of work too.

Now in 2009, I would like to offer my most sincere THANK YOU to all of you for the continued support all these years.

From the customers that buy my work and allow me to make a living out of this passion of mine, to the people that comment on the forums about my knives and other items that I make.

From the knife people and makers that email me thanking me for taking the time to answer their questions, to the makers that graciously helped me when I had questions or needed a hand with some material. Folks like Alan Folts, Will Szermeno, James Cogler, Mark Terrell and Peter Atwood (I know I'm forgetting many others)

Again, THANK YOU all.

Now into this decision...

I currently have a waiting period for knives of 32 months (we all know that it really means well over 3 years in knifemaker time), so I need to stop taking orders for knives for the time being, as I just can't offer a relatively accurate time for delivery anymore or put a price on my work and materials with that advance.

As I don't want to leave people hanging if they were on the verge of ordering a knife from me, I'm posting this notice today, with an entire month in advance, as I will stop taking knives orders in April 30th.

I hope this doesn't come out as selfish or as a cheap marketing ploy or anything in between. I've been thinking a lot about this and I believe it's the right thing to do at this time. I honestly can't believe that I have that much of a waiting time myself, I used to read about makers with a 5 years waiting time and think "whoa, that's crazy!" and now I realize it's not that crazy after all.

This will also give me much free time to come up with new materials and designs and techniques. I love to do "my own stuff" and I have had this area neglected for a long time. Be prepared to be surprised with lots of new things I have in mind!

What does this mean in terms of my current work and forums involvement? Nothing really.

All current orders will be fullfilled, I'm not retiring or anything like that, just stop taking orders for a while until I shorten the waiting time a bit. Once that gets accomplished, I will resume the order taking again.

I will continue to post finished pieces and tutorials on the forums as usual, and I still take orders for pendants, bottle openers, watch buckles, beads, etc. Current waiting time on those ranges from a couple months to a year, depending on the item in question.

And since I will have more free time, I expect to put more available knives of my design for sale on the forums and my website.

I hope you understand and agree with this decision.

Thanks for reading,

Ariel Salaverria

Please sign up for my Newsletter if you'd like to be updated about my work.
All subscribers will get this same message tonight.
http://yourwebapps.com/WebApps/mail-...cgi?list=79955
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Skilled

Ariel great to here you are doing so well, I always look forward to seeing your tutorials. I think your decision is a very wise one as you never know what is going to happen in life and I have seen people get themselves in trouble promising things they have no idea whether or not they can deliver.

www.turnerknives.com
Old 04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Steel Addict

Good on you Ariel, I am glad you are doing so well. If you have to worry too much about delivery dates etc it will eventually affect your work. I am glad things have turned out so well and long may they continue.

ATVB

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid - Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall But iron - cold iron is master of them all. Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 04-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Skilled

Thanks for understanding!

I got some questions about my website... I'm not taking it down or anything like that! In fact I'll be adding more content to it as I keep working and making new stuff.
Nothing's gonna change other than not taking orders for knives for some time

Thanks again!

Ariel
Old 04-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Tch? Salaverria, ?Buenas!

Ac? en Brasil tiene grandes aficionados! y personas que han aprendido y todav?a aprender mucho de sus consejos.

Teniendo en cuenta que su actitud se basa en dos ?reas principales:

1 Respeto por el cliente.
2 Respeto a su trabajo. porque de esa manera siempre puede ofrecer buenas noticias y seguir perfeccionando su trabajo.

Hermano, un fuerte abrazo desde Brasil.

Brezolin
Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Master

Congrats Ariel! I think it takes a lot of guts to do what you doing! Many makers would try to cut corners to increase production. I applaude your personal integrity and your integrity to your work! You are to be respected for your decision.
-Dave

P.S. Now maybe you'll have time to make that set of damascus rims for your car!

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

If anyone has earned a backlog of 32 months, it's you. A word of warning: With the world economy as bad as it is (and getting worse), your backlog is long enough that some customers could evaporate. Make sure you get paid as you go.

With all that backlog, we expect to see lots of pictures posted!!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Steel Addict

Congratulations on your success. Most of us can only hope to get such a backlog! I think your decision is correct, Ariel. Keep those juices flowing!

Tags
forge, knife, knives