MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:13 AM
Registered

New TO Knife Making

Hello everyone. I want to make my knife but don't know event the basics. What are the essential tools we need to make knife?
Old 06-30-2022, 05:47 AM
Hall of Famer

The first essential tools are good reference books. One that I can recommend is The Master Bladesmith Advance Studies in Steel by Jim Hrisoulas. You're also going to have to decide at some time if you want to make knives by stock removal or by forging.

Doug

Old 06-30-2022, 06:10 AM

Agree with Doug, you will have to decide what kind of knives you want to make and how you want to make them. It's a very wide arena of techniques and approaches to the craft that will make the tooling choices difficult without advanced research/knowledge.
Another book I would suggest is "$50 Knife Shop" by Wayne Goddard. He gives some simpler perspectives and approaches to knife making. Jim's is pretty advanced for the beginner but a very great reference resource for when you advance in your skill level.
Like we tell every beginner - ask any questions you have here, lot of excellent makers to pull info from. But, as with any resource, the more specific the question the more specific and helpful the answer will be.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-30-2022, 07:46 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

You said, " I want to make MY knife". That makes me think you are interested in making some specific knife you have in mind for yourself rather than generally making knives as a hobby. If that is the case - and even if it isn't - a good place to start is with a kit knife.

Look through knifekits.com and see if you can find a pre-made blade similar to what you want to make. By using a kit blade you can concentrate on learning how to attach, shape, and finish the handle first and leave the metallurgy for later. The handle work can be done with a hand saw, a file, and some sandpaper so there is no immediate need to invest in expensive machines. Everything you learn doing it this way will be useful to you later even if you decide to become a professional knife maker some day so the time and effort will not be wasted.

Baby steps . . . it's how we all start . . .

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
beginner, blade, bladesmith, book, books, ca, craft, forge, forging, hobby, how to, kit, knife, knife making, knives, make, makers, making, reference, shop, steel, stock removal, tools, what kind