MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Guild Spring 2011 Meeting Announcement Thread updated 5/06/11

The Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild 2011 Spring meeting will be held at the shop of Joe Sangster, Vienna, GA on Saturday, May 14th.

Demo's will be announced later.

Standard agenda for the day; the Board will meet at 8 am or soon as we all arrive, followed by the general meeting of the Guild. The demos follow, iron in the hat, lunch, scholarship knife drawing and any remaining demos.

Monitor this thread for updates to the meeting.

This may be the first time that we will have a meeting that is below Macon and much more convenient to knifemaker's and knife enthusiasts' in the southern part of the state, north Florida and southeast Alabama. Please spread the word on any forum you may frequent.

See everyone in May.

Randy

Last edited by RandyScott; 05-06-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: changed thread title text
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

Can't wait!

Having had the pleasure of a trip to Dr Joe's shop, I can't wait to go back, and this is the perfect excuse. If you haven't seen his shop, or experienced his Southern Hospitality, you really do not want to miss this one. I daresay everyone will benefit from this one!......................James
Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Steel Addict

Really excited myself.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Steel Addict

Is there a social portion on Friday night?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Skilled

Unfortunately not , Andy . So far , I have had only 4 members indicating their attendance on Sat. !

Joe
Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Steel Addict

I'll be there

I need to find someone that's actually going that can do a forging demo with the ladder damascus bar I made at the twins.

if your interested give me a call

Seven70 - 726 - 970six

Georgia Knifemakers Guild
ABS Apprentice

"Wisdom and Experience are built from bricks made from the mud of Failure" Dr Mike Blue
Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Stephan....just read your post about the meeting at Dr. Joe's and from what you said, I assume there will be a forging demo. Do you know who and what time it will be. thanks, James
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Skilled

Motel

For those who may be coming in Fri , the Cordele Ramada Inn has offered
guild members a special rare of $52/nite. Phone # is 229 273 5420.

For those coming in Fri nite , my shop will be open to all who want to shoot the bull . Call for directions . Cell is 229 322 3407 . Home # is 229 268 3749 .

Joe

Last edited by joe sangster; 05-06-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Spring Meeting update

I have just sent an email to all the Guild members regarding the upcoming meeting. That email contained attachments for the directions and hotel/motel accomodations in the local area for those arriving on Friday.

The meeting is open to the public, no charge, and for those who want to attend, here is the link to the Guild website where you can download the necessary info as stated above.

http://georgiaknifemakersguild.com/modules/news/

The Board meets around 8am, or as soon as everyone arrives. The General meeting of the Guild member commences about 9am followed by the demos.

Any questions? PM or email me.

Travel safe and see you at the meeting.

Randy
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Skilled

I gavean incorrect phone # for Cordele Ramada Inn. The correct # is 229 273 5000 .

Thanks ,
Joe Sangster
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Joe , it looks like Will , Davin , Bubba , and myself will be there sat. See ya then , Scott

Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Skilled

Thanks, Scott ! I'll put names on 4 more plates !

Joe
Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks to Joe and the Colonel for a fantastic meeting. That was an outstanding location for a meeting. The food was great. The demonstrations showed some of us that we need to work on our manual dexterity and as always the fellowship could not have been better. Joe and his buddies added a new twist to the drawings with some hand made furniture. I won a beautiful rocker and others won an arm chair and a bench. Special thanks to Carey Quin for his donation of a nice drop point hunter for the Poythress Scholarship. Those of you that have picked up one of his knives know what I mean when I say it felt just right in your hand.

www.twinxblades.com
Director Knifemakers Guild

Old 05-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

Amen!!

Like Charlie, I really want to say "Thanks" to Dr. Joe and Colonel Ambrose for the beautiful, and comfortable, facility which made the meeting a memorable event. While these two gentlemen were important to the success, there were many others who contributed time, effort and smiles. Sally, those wonderful sandwiches and chips you cooked up for all of us who were there Friday night were exactly the perfect way to cap off a long day....good food, and great friends, are a special combo that just can't be beat. You became an "instant friend" when we met you. Heaven only knows how many hours Jim Collins put into making our visit one we will always remember. Col. Ambrose seemed to enjoy preparing and serving the delicious food, and as Charlie noted, the chairs and bench he and Jim provided as fund raisers for the club were "above and beyond". I think maybe we should make Col. Ambrose an Honorary Member of the GCKG (maybe he'll cook for us again) As always, the knives on display, made by men I am proud to think of as friends, were outstanding. Dennis Bradley never ceases to amaze me...and what can you say about Wayne that hasn't already been said.
Finally, a "Thank You" to the ladies who graced us with their presence. It is so neat to see how you support, and appreciate, the "things we do". Each of you adds elegance and validation to our efforts with your approval....and did you notice how much better Don Tommey looks when Faye is with him?
As the day goes on, I'll try to add some of photos from yesterday.....James
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Meeting Photos

I fully concur with Charlie's and James' comments about our host, the facility and effort to make this a great experience!

James Mitchell provided me with some photos he took and I have included them below.

Photo 1: Guild Board members (clockwise from 7 o?clock) Charlie Mathews, Randy Scott, Craig Schneeberger & Joe Sangster. Not shown are Ken Simmons and Stephan Fowler.

Photo 2: Early birds (L ? R) Davin Kates, Dennis Bradley, Warren Glover and, in the background in the red shirt, Wayne Hensley just arriving.

Photo 3: Meeting underway in the pavilion.. by the way, did I mention this was a very nice facility?

Photo 4: L- R: Dylan Fletcher, Carey Quinn, Randy Scott. Behind Dylan is Dennis Bradley. Did you notice the pair of hands to Dylan?s right? Did you notice over my right shoulder the flat screen monitor with the view of the knot being tied by the pair of hands? The Guild has purchased video equipment to record demo?s for future use. The flat screens permit those whose view is obstructed to be able to see the demo clearly.

Photo 5: L-R; Daven Kates, Jim Collins, Steve Gatlin and Charlie Mathews.

Photo 6: A lovely country porch, tin roof, rocking chairs and good conversation. Hey guys, these are not dinky little rockers! L-R: Harry Mathews, Will Dutton, Daven Kates and Charlie Mathews. Did?ja notice the swing at the end of the porch? There is another behind the photographer ? James Mitchell. Thank you James for taking and providing the photos!

Photo 7: Just a shot of one of three rows of tables. Our host for the meeting, Joe Sangster lower right. Scott Davidson is behind Joe and Warren Glover is across from Scott. At the far end of the table is Dan Masson. The gentleman to the left is a friend of Joe?s and I have forgotten his name.

Photo 8: View of the interior from the opposite end: L-R Jim Haimer and his wife.. oops, forgot her name; Karen and Craig Schneeberger, Andy Roy. Don and Faye Tommey lower right.

If anyone took photos, either post them or send them to me and I?ll get them posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0009_C.jpg (77.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0012_C.jpg (75.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0017_C.jpg (76.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0019_C.jpg (71.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0020_C.jpg (75.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0025_C.jpg (80.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0028_C.jpg (73.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0031_C.jpg (73.8 KB, 19 views)

Tags
blade, custom, damascus, forging, hunter, iron, knife, knives, post