MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-02-2001, 08:53 PM
danf

Variable speed motor

I have a mini mill I bought from Uncle Al. It came with variable speed. I was wondering if I could use the controller to make my Band saw variable speed? I think I would need a DC motor for it. Any advice on DC motors? I don't know how they are spec'd.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:27 PM
MJHKNIVES

Dan,fractional hp,ac motors,ie:1/10th,1/8,1/4,etc,can be controlled like that.But when you get up into,say 3/4-1 hp ac, and up,you will lose considerable hp trying to make them var.,sp.When people speak of a variable speed grinder or such in the higher hp range,they are usually refering to a DC motor,with a solid state control device that converts AC current from your wall receptacle,to DC to feed the vs motor,and in that control there is a rheostat to control speed,sometimes a brake,and usually a motor reverse switch.Hope this helps. someone more knowledable could have described it in 10 words or less,undoubtably.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:42 PM
MJHKNIVES

Didn't answer your question,duh,,you want a dc motor to go with the current in your shop=120vac,=90vdc mtr.,220vac,=180vdc motor.The controller is usually switchable between 120vac-220vac,but check on this.You will need a heat sink for the back of the controller,to carry heat away from the internal electronics.DC motors & controls are made by a few co's.,the most common,that I have seen lately are Leeson and Grainger.Both have web sites,which I cant remember at the moment.Found Graingers=www.grainger.com think leeson is likewise and I think has more competitive pricing,pc for cheaper.
Old 06-03-2001, 05:19 PM
danf

Thanks

Thanks,
I'm starting to get it.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:01 AM
Geno

Step pulleys are a lot cheaper than DC motors and controls.
Check the horse power of the two machines, are they equal?
Don't under-power your saw.OK?