MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Steel Addict

Folders

This is more of just a curiosity question right now. I was wondering what, in your opinion, is the easiest type of folding knife to make? The friction folders seem pretty simple, but are they harder to get right than they would seem? Is a slip joint or liner lock easier to make? Like I said just kind of curious to hear different opinions.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Steel Addict

I have only been making folders for about two years now. I have tried to play with a wide variety of knives and I don't know that I'd say one is harder than another. each has points that you need to watch closer.

also, accept from the start that you will have a few clinkers. I have a case that I keep all my education knives in. its becoming less frequent that I have to put one in it but it happens. learn from each knife.

we have some world class knife/folder makers here on the forum. ask a lot of questions and do a lot of forum searches, the info is there.

if your thinking about jumping in I'd say pick a knife you want to carry in your pocket and just go with the flow. it will be much easier for you to keep with it and get the finer points accomplished if you like the knife your holding.

Erik
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Friction folders are pretty much what they look like, not too difficult. All the other popular designs - liner locks, slipjoints, lockbacks - will all require a lot of study, lots of practice, and lots of specialty tooling. Unfortunately, the special tooling required overlaps across those three designs but is not identical. On some items like drills and reams you'll need to buy quite a few until you have enough to do everything required for the knife you're building. Then, the next knife you build might be a little different and you'll need yet another drill and ream size or maybe several. This goes on continuously for as long as you make folders.

There are more than one way to build any of those designs. You may need to build jigs and fixtures for your knives, or modify tools such as your drill press. In other words, any of those knives requires a serious commitment in both time and money so pick the one you most want to build and don't expect to build all of those types well any time soon.

For me, liner locks are the way to go. They are arguably the most popular design in high end folders today. I like them because they are assembled with screws which allows me to easily put them together and take them apart as I struggle to get everything to fit and function smoothly. The other two designs generally use pins and you'll learn how to try fit those knives too but I just hate freakin' pins! Anyway, read a lot, build a few kit knives, and then make your decision ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 07-26-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Steel Addict

That's about the answer I expected. I've not really handled or used any friction folders, but they interest me for some reason. I've seen a couple of modernized ones people have made that I thought were really neat. I know they're not all that popular, but I thought they might be a way to get started in folders without investing in a lot of specialized equipment. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Steel Addict

I've made a small hand full of folders, and basically everything Ray said is true, and then some. Think about all the frustrating things with fixed blades, you have all of those plus about 10 other things to worry about. Patience, taking your time, and having a game plan are key.

While I've only made liner-lock folders and a couple lockbacks, I can't really give a suggestion on what to do. I just went the route that was the most common to the market. Although they are an extreme test of skill and patience, when you get the first folder that turns out nice and someone says "No way, you like, MADE this!?". It's worth it.

Tags
art, bee, building, education, folder, folding, folding knife, hand, how to, kit, knife, knives, liner lock, lock, made, make, making, pins, pocket, press, simple, tools