MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Living Legend

United Way knife

Hi,

I've been approached about making a knife to be a raffle prize for our United Way fund raiser. I know that Steve has done several charity knives and I was wondering what I should go for. I work with a real mix of people from Beemer clad suits to the good ol' boy. I have only been making my own blades for a short time and most of them have been hunter styles. I don't mind using this as a chance to try something different.

So, any suggestions on what and how?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 02:48 PM

Make anything you like, they'll appreciate it. Make sure they know if you're giving them all the money or part of it. Also whether the check is to made out to them or you. If it's made out to them, then the donation is decuctible for the buyer. Do you need money for postage to ship the knife, etc...?

Personally, I'd ask them if they support the Boy Scouts of America! But that's just a hang-up I have.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 07-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Living Legend

Thanks for the quick reply Steve. The fund raiser is through my work so getting it to them isn't an issue. As to how much money, it's a raffle for the knife, so all the money will be going to the fund, which they will be collecting so I'm not going into this thinking I'm getting any money.

And yes the United Way does support the Boy Scouts.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

It's great of you to offer your talents and materials for charity!

Having been involved in stuff like this before, let me give you some simple advice:
1. Fishing lures are not painted all those colors to catch fish. They are dressed up like that to catch people who are buying lures. It doesn't really matter about the style of the knife, but if you want to generate bidders, then it needs to be eye-catching. "Shiny" is probably the most obvious adjective that would be applicable. I don't know if you're planning a sheath, but the same dress-up applies. You might also think about a simple stand to show it off.
2. Make sure you pay attention to the auction. I had a bad experience donating a knife to a fundraiser for the high school band. The women running the event decided that they couldn't have anything sharp on display, so they put a picture of it on the table. Shortly after people started walking through the tables, the picture blew off and landed somewhere on the floor. I retrieved it sometime later, but the top bid was about 1/4 of what the knife was worth. A good friend - one of those people that always tries hard to hold up their end of whatever they do - wanted the knife for her son. I ended up bidding the thing in at the last second and giving it to her kid. (No regrets about that.) I'll admit that it was a poorly run event, but if I hadn't paid attention, somebody would have gotten a real bargain. (Same event, I picked up a new leather jacket for 1/10 of it's value.)

As far as United Way goes, it operates differently in different areas. In Houston, there was a big mess some years ago with the local agency head, and they changed up the way that charities were selected for distribution of money (among other changes). Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts used to be about the least contraversial groups you could think of, but there are areas where Boy Scouts are being cut off because they don't want to accept gays and atheists and Girl Scouts are under fire for teaching girls about abortion. (Remember when kids just went there to have fun????) Boy Scouts around here discourage the possession of knives!! (Remember when that was a good reason to BE a Boy Scout??) I must be getting old to allow this stuff to p*** me off like it does. Charities - IMHO - should help take care of needy families and children, and kids should be allowed to be kids. {sigh} I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:48 PM

I called the United Way in this area and they do support BSA. San Fancisco is another story, as may be case in other specific areas of the country. It's a regional thing and is decided upon by the local chapters. Have fun, they'll appreciate it, I'msure. You're certainly a generous person.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I hope I conveyed what I meant about United Way - I am NOT anti-UW. But WHO they give money to depends on the local chapter. Therefore, people in some areas may find that they aren't happy with the choices.

BTW, a friend of mine was unhappy with UW a few years back. In trying to complain, he found out that it was relatively easy to volunteer himself onto the committee doing the selections. During the time he spent there, he had some positive impact on the distribution. Surprisingly few people control surprisingly huge chunks of money - mostly because they were the only ones who bothered to get involved.

(And the rants about Scouts has to do with it being a Monday all day long , and my general crotchety disposition towards Political Correctness :evil and such.)

Old 07-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Living Legend

Thanks for both of you jumping in. The knife is part of a raffle so there won't be any bidding. Just $1 tickets. I know that I maybe giving the knife away for less than its worth but it's for charity and I'm really not all that great a maker . I was thinking about going more towards the EDC style as a bit of a compromise to try and get both ends to buy tickets for the raffle. Already one of my co-workers is thinking about buying a ticket just to get a chance at it, and he doesn't want anything to do with the UW. He doesn't want to support some of the charities it gives to.

As for the BSA, not being a Christian I can understand some disappointment in the organization. I have nothing against them personally and I think they help make kids better persons. I not the outdoors kind of person, my idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn with no pool . It's just hard sometimes not to be a little bitter that if I had wanted to that I would not be considered a good enough person to join. But I don't have any problem with the UW supporting them.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 07-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Our Founding Fathers had a pretty good idea - We should all be allowed to worship as we believe and each of us should respect one another's right to that freedom. Are there going to be problems with that? You bet. But ironing those out is part of the process.

Sadly, our PC world has decided that the only way to be "fair" is for no one to have the right to public participation in worship. (And you can extend that to other basic rights as well.) So our poor children learn to be bitter and divided instead of learning how to get along. Most importantly, children - e.g., Boy and Girl Scouts - should not be used as pawns in these political battles. The further away from the original intent of the Bill of Rights we get, the less important the children become.

Years ago, I was president of an employees recreational group for a large corporation (that is now non-existant). We had a occasion where we were able to donate money to charity and we were provided a lengthy list of charities the company supported. I gave the little committee that was going to choose where the money went 2 rules they had to follow: The charity must help needy families and children, and it must be open to everyone. I refuse to support a charity that would check a kid's skin or religion before feeding him. The company was a little p.o.'d that I did that, but I offer no apologies.

Good luck with your knife donation! I hope it brings in a ton of money.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Living Legend

I am firm believer in the Bill of Rights; I still serve in the Naval Reserves to help protest my right and others to the 1st Amendment. I do not hold anything against the BSA/GSA because of their beliefs no more than I hold it against FCA that also holds to the same standards. I do not want them to accept me. I don't want them to tolerate me. I just want to be given the same respect asked of me by them and the Scouts still teach just that, respect for others and nature. I don't think that forcing them acceptance for my beliefs is respectful, nor is forcing them to rewrite rules for an organization that is founded on Christianity. That would be like telling a church it couldn't hold service because it wasn't also about Pagans, Buddhist or Muslims. Saying that I still believe in "the right to swing your fist ends at my nose." Attacking someones beliefs is not respectful.

As I said I think the Scouts help make kids into better adults. I still buy popcorn and cookies when they come around. You do have it correct in that people try to force all these opinions and changes and it?s the kids who suffer. I may have some feelings that aren't always the best but I don't take it out on the kids, it?s my problem to deal with not theirs.

As it was said before around here the Bill of Rights does not promise that we will not be offended by what people say or believe. (Enough rant, no back to our regularly scheduled discussion on knives)

Jim
Old 07-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

We are in total agreement.

Now, are you gonna post a pic of that knife?

Old 07-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Living Legend

I'm still in the design stage right now. That's why I was asking for ideas and suggestions. I was thinking a little along the line of this on:

This is one I made recently. Flat grind, S30V, hand sanded to 1200 grit, 416 bolsters, mosaic pins and stabilized Honduras rosewood burl from WSSI. I don't know what I going to use for the handles to catch people?s attention but I'll keep options open for any suggestions.

Jim
Old 07-27-2004, 04:21 PM

Desert Ironwood Is An Eye Catcher If It's Pretty Contrasty. Nice Knife. Good Project.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

That's very nice! I like knives to be rugged and useful, and this one certainly meets that criteria. It's already pretty attractive - I hate to mess with the layout you've got.

You might think of a nice stand to show it off. I've seen some pretty simple ones with a small deer antler for the fork. A sheath would be good, and that can be dressed up pretty simply with some silver conches or beading. How about a contrasting spacer to help show off the wood? I'm also fond of a lanyard hole in the handle. I guess we could come up with a number of ideas, but short of a really cool engraving job, I don't know that we could improve it much.

{I might have to throw a buck in on this one myself...}

Old 07-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Living Legend

Thanks for both of your compliments. Luckily bad photos hide the mistakes as well as the good stuff .

I like using ironwood but I haven't got around to buying a resaw band saw yet so I can't get it cut thin enough for this sort of project. The band saw is one of the top items on the wish list.

I had considered engraving but while I know a couple of engravers through the forums I don't have a good enough relationship with them to say "Hey (Joe), I doing this for charity, will you donate some engraving?" Nice people around here but I can't expect most of the engravers who do this for a living to just give away their time. I also considered a lanyard hole but despite the picture the knife is small, the blade is only 3". It didn't leave a lot of room for one.

Now a sheath is a definite. I hoping when the knife is done I can get Sandy to do one. I can make a usable basic sheath but that?s the limit of my leather skills. I'll pay the sheath makers to what they do best and stick to the knife side.

Jim
Old 07-28-2004, 06:57 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Well, Hello, Jim, my friend-----

As regards the sheath. You silver tongued rascal you---you just talked this old man into making the sheath. My pleasure, Jim. Let me know when you want it and I will hop on it. Really enjoyed your discourse on this thread. I, personally, never judge a man by his beliefs, only by his actions. You seem to have some #### fine actions, good friend! --Sandy---

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives