MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Skilled

Rockwell hardness Tester help

I have an opportunity to buy a Rockwell hardness tester within driving distance of me and in the $400 range. The seller says it is working but haven't been calibrated since 2003. What things should I be looking for / questions to ask to determine if I should make the purchase?

I know I need to inquire as to what penitrator it comes with

Last edited by jdale; 01-22-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Skilled

I just purchased an old one off of craiglist (of all places!) and have learned quite a bit,

The stuff may be obvious, but just in case: make sure the weights (there are three with mine, and all others I have seen), any additional anvils are nice, any test blocks (sounds like he may not have any if its been since 2003 since he calibrated it) if there is a cabinet it sits on (there are special stands with a hole in the top for the anvil column to recede into), a cover, and any charts, paperwork or instruction/reference manuals or materials.

yep, the penitrators for C scale are about $175/each new, are cone shaped, as opposed to 1/16 ball, 1/8 ball, or pyramid shaped. make sure they haven't been smashed/damaged or worn out as they do have a limited life. you can use a magnifier to look at the cone the diamond sits on for any malformation or signs of crush. if it isn't uniform its been used up.

the mount for the penitrator should have nice clean shoulders, free of debris, oil or nics of any kind. look for any cracks or damage to the cover and mounting pins the 'pot' rides on as well. Changing the hydrolic fluid in the pot isnt a bad idea.

google is your friend, so search the make and model is of help as well.

Good luck!

Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Tags
ball, bee, buy, case, diamond, instruction, make, materials, mount, pins, reference, scale