MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Skilled

Randall enthusiasm

Hi guys.
I have noticed how quiet it is on this Randall forum, the Randall market is flat, which I am sure is economy driven, but my question is this.

With the books that have been written in the last 25 years or so, and all the research having been done by very competent researchers that I am very thankful for, has it all been learned? Has it become redundant?
Would it be a good thing to post our new knives, and have others oggle them? Just staying connected in that way?

Part of what makes Rhett's old forum viable, is that the guys are connected, and when they get a knife, they post pics, and everyone appreciates it. Plus they have some very knowledgeable, experienced collectors that contribute regularly.

They also have the direct connection of the shop.

I don't know Rick Bowles personally, and I know he is or was a dealer, how is that status? It would be good to know where this group stands in the overall community.

I am not here often, because there just isn't much activity. Is it because of life commitments, waning interest?

I know Rhett's passing had a huge impact on the community, and even with the other forum only 20-30 people regularly post, but at least they keep it going.

I have over 200 views of my banning statement since yesterday, so there seems to be interest, unless it's lurkers from another forum that wants to see if we are just being haters. That would be unfortunate.

I love Randall everything and when you are banned from a group, you can't even access the site from the same devise, and I use my phone devise all the time for it.

It is just unbelievable that one can be treated the way I was. Why? Because I am a collector, but also a customer! If I treated my customers this way, I would be out of work.

What do you think guys? I miss the other forum, and would love to see this forum alive with activity. Otherwise, the other forum has effectively silenced us.

Just my 2? worth.

By the way, would it be out of line to ask for a show of hands, how many of us have been banned in another forum?

Hoping for change, Sam

Last edited by samg; 10-05-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

Sam - Rick B. is a participant on this forum.
The 'other' forum is 'interesting' to say the very least. Are there EGOS there,most certainly, its probably true here but it hasn't become blatant. The 'other' place has lost/banned a fair number of valuable participants over the 'squabbles' about something or other because we all lose in the end by doing this.
I'm not sure why Rick T. chose to obtain the 'rights' at the other place - he's basically a non-participant from what I observed. But, in the end' he has 'the power'!
I've learned a lot which makes me a relative newbie compared to some that small fortunes invested and are very knowledgeable about the ins/outs of Randalls.
I watch/listen and comment occasionally but in the end when Rhett passed something in the forums went with his spirit.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Skilled

Thanks 505Gibbs for your comments.
It is a shame the way things are going with the Randall Collectors forums.
You are right, in the end we all lose. People get turned off by all of the name calling and bickering.
So much research has been done, and well done books of Randall knives have been published, so even though participation is off for now, we can dig into the threads and books to learn what we want.

What I don't understand, is why the Randall shop doesn't have a strong advocate that could moderate and be a fair voice of reason with these forums. It's too bad that we don't have that voice.

Being a business man myself, if I had a group of followers who I knew idolized my product like Randall knives has, I would find the time to be involved in the community.

It is what it is. I have no voice, just one who has spent several thousand dollars on Randall knives, as many of us have. But with the bad taste that has been placed in my mouth, do you think my discretionary spending habits will change? You bet it will. Already has. I asked for, and recieved a full refund from someone that I lost all respect for. (Not the shop)

What do you think guys?

Regards, Sam
Old 10-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

The shop foreman 'DW'[Dirty Water] - Scott[last name escapes me right now] chimes in from time to time and, if you look at a thread here, even he seems to be upset with the goings on at the other location. I believe I have seen a post or two from GTR but they're not common. I think they have enough to manage the shop rather than read the forum discussion.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Skilled

You may be right about having enough to manage the shop, but I also believe that we all make time for what is important in our lives.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Skilled

I think this is quiet because it's so difficult to navigate thru! I get discouraged 5 minutes after signing on and just give up!
Old 11-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Skilled

If I knew how to navigate this forum and post pics, I would be willing to participate daily! This is the most difficult forum to figure out that I have ever been involved in..... very disappointing really.....
Old 11-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Skilled

Hi Ta2bill
I do all of my posting with my Android phone. I will give you the rundown how I post pics.

1) Download my photo to Photo Editor app
2) Resize photo to 640 x 1100 np.
3) Send file to Photobucket
4) select photo in Photobucket
5) on toolbar at bottom of photo, select share photo icon
6) select "copy link to clipboard"
7) select IMG link
8) Go to message page where you type your message
9) On above tool bar, click on the photo icon that looks like a mountain with a sun.
A small window will open, erace the http in the tool bar, load your photo in that bar, click OK.

I know it sounds like a lot, but its quite simple. Maybe someone has an easier way. This works for me.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Sam
Old 11-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Skilled

I don't have an android phone, I use my laptop computer.....
Old 11-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Skilled

And I don't resize my pics. They shouldn't have to be resized for only this forum.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:52 PM

Ta2bill,
it does sound difficult,,,,BUT I would assume, once you get used to it, it's probably pretty easy. As to the photo size, that goes to how it becomes displayed on this site. A large photo file...1,2,3mb's of size is not needed, and only takes up unneeded space. A large photo file will appear different than a smaller file size, so it's kind of like keeping the apples with the apples and the oranges with the oranges.
just my $.02

:-)Rocky
Old 11-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Skilled

Ta2bill
The photo size requirements are about the same on both forums. I upload photos exactly the same way on both forums.

Next time you see Chris Stanaback or anyone in Florida in the forum, they can probably show you the process.

Good luck

Sam

Tags
bee, books, chris, common, easy, file, flat, how to, knife, knives, make, man, mountain, newbie, post, randall, shop, show, simple, small