MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 AM

Turco

Has anyone had any experience using Turco. I have been trying it on ATS-34 and am not at all satisfied with the results. I'm sure it's a problem with how I am applying it to the steel. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Zima
www.zimaknives.com
Old 03-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Steel Addict

Contact Phil Wilson.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Say Mike, I was just getting ready to order some Turco from K & G until I read your post. What is it that happens when you use it? I've been using PBC with kinda good sucess, but sometimes I have spots that aren't getting coated, plus I don't like breathing the stuff (I know, mask). Seems the Turco would be good because it's liquid and should coat everything well.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 AM

Hello Robert,

I have used Turco several times on ATS and 154CM. There can be some small shallow pits here and there in the steel which can easily be taken care of on regrind after heat treating. I prefer it on fixed blades, but on folders where I'm dealing with lock lugs and notches I have stayed with the tool wrap because these areas are final fit before heat treat and I don't want to remove any more stock no matter how minute in those areas. Most likely wouldn't make any difference, but I just haven't tried it yet.

With Turco thicker coats are definitly NOT better. Have your blade super clean. Degrease then wash good with soap and rinse all soap residue off with clear water. Rig up a dip tube, add a wire through a pin hole, dip the blade ONLY ONCE and hang to dry. Using a paper towel, wick the excess off the tip of the blade. It will dry in a few minutes, then into the oven.

After heat treat I hand drill the pin holes to remove any Turco that remains there.

Hope this helps.

Mike Zima

Tags
knives