MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Question Surplus L6

I was organizing my knife making steel the other day and ran across some L6 barstock I got from Admiral 4+ years ago. It is still in the original shipping tube. The dimensions are 1 1/16" X 1/4" by 60". There are at least 6 pieces. They look to be rolled, not machined. Light grey in color.
I am a hobiest and probably will not use this since I have plenty of other stock that is easier to use for the knives I make.
Thought I would see if anyone here is interested before I put it on ebay.
I am only interested in a cash sale for the whole lot. Would be willing to send a chunk, free of charge, for examination.
Ebay would be easier but you guys have helped me so much in the past that I would rather offer a bargan to a fellow board member.
Also, would appreciate opinions on what this stuff is worth. I can't seem to find listing for this size of barstock.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:45 PM

I would be interested!! am just starting up and could use some stock. send me an e-mail
stryder
Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Im intrested also, whats your price?

Thanks

God Bless
Mike

Old 06-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

Surplus L6

Like I said, I can't find any price info on that particular size stock. I was thinking around $5 pr. ft. so that's $25 pr. 5ft stick times 6 sticks for $150 not including shipping. I am in california so that will help figure shipping.
This is just a WAG on my part so please don't think I'm trying to gouge anyone. I seem to remember paying about that 4 or 5 years ago. Also, I am willing to send a sample piece at no charge to make sure it's satisfactory.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Hall of Famer

If Stryder or someone else is interested, would you slit it into 2 orders of 3 sticks each?

Also can you take paypal? Or or prefer a certified check?

Thanks!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 06-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

Surplus L6

Not a problem. I have a pay pal account. They will probably freak when they see me getting $ instead of spending it.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

Surplus L6

Guys! I am embarassed!!
I bought this stuff in Jan 03 and a forum member was kind enough to point me to the thread discussing Admiral Steel's problems with L6. I called Terry at Admiral, today, and he confirmed that it could be 8760 instead of L6. In the process of trying to identify this stuff I scrapped the shipping label off the shipping tube and it turns out the correct dimensions are 3/16" X 1" by 91". They cut the sticks in two for shipping so they are really only 45". There are 7 sticks instead of 6.
Don't think I could have screwed this up any worse if I had tried. I feel especially bad since you are the people who have taught me what I know about knife making and give honesty and honor a new level.
I am retracting the offer of sale since I don't know what this stuff is even though the label says L6.
Mike, Stryder, email me your shipping address and I will be glad to cut 4 one foot sections for each of you and send them at no charge for the trouble I caused.
Again, my apologies.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Living Legend

Smitty, you have nothing to be embarassed about. While I understand why you would FEEL embarassed, the fact remains that this is not widely known information about the Admiral error. It's not even on this forum, but on Bladeforums. It's a 5 year old error that only recently came to light when someone had their steel analyzed. It explained why "Admiral L6 doesn't heat treat like the Crucible or Carpenter versions," which has been reported frequently.

I would say instead, we should be grateful for the immediate correction by an honorable man. Your original offering was certainly in "good faith."

An honorable man would certainly feel embarassed, but judgement is certainly in your favor, and not our opinion at all.

Thank you for doing the "right thing".

As an aside, it has been reported that this stuff makes a pretty decent blade regardless, somewhat along the lines of a 5160-ish steel plus nickel. People who had some planned on keeping it, and some even planned on getting more before the stock ran out at Admiral, as they don't intend to carry it anymore. If I was forging much, I would buy some from you.

Last edited by fitzo; 07-01-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Guru

From Kelly Cupples price sheet (last one I got from him) on 1084 used to put a weight to the steel (this is his most expensive steel in this size):

3/16 x 1 .........( 19" in a lb )..................................2.90........... ......5'....8.41 ea

So I calculate that you have approx 2.37lb/bar 7 bars so approx 16.6lbs of steel.

Let me know if you are still interested in offloading it, I like this size for forging and a 5160-ish plus nickel steel would be interesting to play with.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 07-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Living Legend

Here is the pertinent thread on BF:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=396794

The two really important posts are the first by Patton with the analysis and, on "page 3," a post by Dan Gray which contains a cut-n-paste email response from Terry Summers regarding the history of the steel and identity.

Somewhere in the other posts is a comment about the quality of the blade made from it.

As can be intuited from my getting involved in this thread, I was the one who contacted Smitty regarding the identity of his steel. I have to say the speed with which he got on this and the quick response here makes me feel good I did. I admire that level of honor and personal responsibility in a person. Kudos to Smitty!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Guru

Fitzo, you're right about Smitty. I didn't need a L-6 in the size he had, might have been fun, but I wouldn't mind playing with the 8760. Could be fun at the forge. Thus the offer.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Smitty
Im intrested in buying half if you will split it, drop me an email with your paypal info, and I will send you some internet $$

And as Fitz stated, you dont have anything to be ashamed about!!

God Bless
Mike

mikegarner69@hotmail.com

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives