MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Steel Addict

I have to ask how you do the animation on the photo. I like it! I am running Mac OS X so I don't know if the program you are using is compatible. Thanks for everyone's continued advice and support.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

Nice set up you have there! I am especially green of that nice stand with the soft box. Is that a room dedicated for just your toys? I have the dining room, so I have to unpack and re-pack each time hubby finishes a knife.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Turner
I have to ask how you do the animation on the photo. I am running Mac OS X so I don't know if the program you are using is compatible.
Barbara - I use both a Mac and a PC. The Mac is new and to date I'm unable to find a simple program designed to work on a Mac that will put these animations together. So, at present I'm forced to use my PC for these and the little program I use (thanks to Rik Palm for tipping me off to this) is Easy GIF Animator. Works like a charm and is totally simple. Here are a couple of other examples for your amusement:
My younger son, Robert, from a couple of years ago:

This four shot animation of a stream in Rocky Mountain National Park makes a wonderful desktop background - very relaxing. Feel free to save it to your hard drive and enjoy it from time to time:

I guess NASA likes these little animations too:

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runasics
Is that a room dedicated for just your toys? I have the dining room, so I have to unpack and re-pack each time hubby finishes a knife.
Not having sufficient space (or the right space) for knife photography can be quite an irritant - one that I'm very familiar with. I asked my wife what you should do and she suggested: "Tell your husband that he is not the only artist in the house, that you're tired of putting up with his knife making mess and that you deserve better!"

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Steel Addict

Runasics,

I don't have a dedicated room for my photography (I wish). I have a large guest room upstairs and I use one end of it. I plan on leaving the softbox assembled on the C stand (kind of a pain to dissasemble) but it is quite easy to remove the other light, fold the reflectors and move the table back against the wall.

Buddy,

Very nice job on the animations. Your son has some very cute expressions. I just installed Parallels on my Mac, so I can run some non Mac software. If I understand what you're doing with the animations, you use a series of shots. Thanks for everyone's continuing support.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Living Legend

i need some suggestions from the experts .. i am not a photographer , i just diddle around with it and when i want good work done i call on the expertise of coop. as some of you know i do mainly firearms engraving and i take photos of the engraving i do for my files , i am interested in the new Nikon D 90 ,, what is your opinion of it and will it work for me and what lens do i need to take photos of the work i do ,, thanks for your suggestions .. ron p

Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Ron - I'm not a Nikon shooter but I am aware that everyone thinks highly of the D90. Here's a link to some discussion on the subject: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=30646053
Regarding lenses, I defer to Coop as he's got some great ones. But I will say this - "it depends." And it really does. You probably want macro capabiltiy AND the option to back off and get some overview shots, especially on larger projects like guns etc. Whether you can get both in one lens is an important question. My solution is not for everyone. I use a 90mm tilt/shift, manual focus lens that gives me improved depth of field so I can avoid out of focus areas when up close or from an angle, using my regular lights. If you're willing to use strobe flashes as does Coop, you can crank up the light and use a small aperture like f22 even, and conquer the depth of field issues that way. There is a learning curve and an expense associated with strobes that may or may not make sense for you.
Your question really deserves its own thread as it's a topic and discussion that could generate a lot of good discussion. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Living Legend

hi buddy .. thanks for your input , i will start a new tread on the subject .. ron p

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives